Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
French
Home Country
France
Current Location
France
Hello everybody! I'd like to know if there are words that follow the same pronunciation pattern as the word 'document'. To my knowledge, this example is unique since the noun is pronounced [ˈdɔkjəmənt] and the verb [ˈdɔkjəmɛnt] or [ˈdɔkjəment], at least in SSB.

Thanks.

Last edited:
Hi there, and welcome to the forum.
First, please correct the info you have provided on your profile.

Hi there, and welcome to the forum.
First, please correct the info you have provided on your profile.
Could you tell me what info you are talking about?

Cheers.

Hello @richmond12 and welcome. How about occident and president. Like document, they have three syllables with the stress on the first.

Last edited:
Hello @richmond12 and welcome. How about occident and president. Like document, they have three syllables with the stress on the third.
The stress is on the first syllable of all three words!

I think I wasn't clear enough in my question. I'm looking for words that have pairs: a noun with a stress on the first syllable and a verb with also a stress on the first syllable, the difference between them being a single vowel shift (here in my example: /mənt/ vs /mɛnt/).

@probus Thanks for greeting me.

Thanks @emsr2d2. I've fixed my earlier post. I'd like to call it a typo but it was more of a brain f*rt.🤣

Are you using a proxy server?

fragment
implement

fragment
implement
'implement' fits the pattern. Well done! As to the first mentioned, the stress is on the second syllable for the verb [frægˈmɛnt] or [frægˈment] as far as I know. But the English Pronouncing Dictionary mentions ['frægment] as American. I don't know if there's actually a strict separation between the British and the American pronunciations of this word.

Last edited:
You may, but first answer my question please.

I asked you a simple question. Are you or are you not using a proxy server/VPN?
I'm not using my personal device. That's why I haven't got a clue about whether there is a proxy server or not. Could you tell me what this is about?

As to the first mentioned, the stress is on the second syllable for the verb [frægˈmɛnt] or [frægˈment] as far as I know. But the English Pronouncing Dictionary mentions ['frægment] as American. I don't know if there's actually a strict separation between the British and the American pronunciations of this word.

Yes, as a verb, 'fragment' most commonly has stress on the second syllable, and I understand that's not what you were looking for. However, Merriam-Webster, an American dictionary, lists the verb as being stressed on the first syllable. I don't know if that's typical for American speakers as a whole, but it doesn't sound likely to me. Perhaps one of them can enlighten us.

Yes, as a verb, 'fragment' most commonly has stress on the second syllable, and I understand that's not what you were looking for. However, Merriam-Webster, an American dictionary, lists the verb as being stressed on the first syllable. I don't know if that's typical for American speakers as a whole, but it doesn't sound likely to me. Perhaps one of them can enlighten us.
You will hear the verb commonly stressed on both the first and second syllable in AmE. I'm a bit surprised Webster only lists one option. Collins lists both stress options for AmE pronunciation.

I've over-thought the issue and am no longer certain, but I'm fairly sure I stress the verb on the first syllable. I rarely use the verb compared to the noun, and now both sound correct. :unsure:

Using "fragment" as a verb isn't something that is very common in my experience. I think I would emphasize the first syllable.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back