Current Location
Czech Republic
Hello all.

1) It is not worth a thought.
2) It is not worth thinking about.
3) It is worth a thought.
4) It is worth thinking about.

Are all these correct?

My non-native teacher says that she would not use "It is not worth a thought", but one native speaker says that he would not say it in a positive sentence "It is worth a thought". What are your thoughts on it?

That all derives from one sentence I once constructed:

- That said, there are two suggestions that are [STRIKE]worth a thought[/STRIKE]. Here, the native speaker says that he would use worth thinking about instead. Is he right?

Thanks!

Skrej

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Are all these correct?

My non-native teacher says that she would not use "It is not worth a thought", but one native speaker says that he would not say it in a positive sentence "It is worth a thought". What are your thoughts on it?

They're all grammatical, and correct.

#3 is a set phrase we sometimes use. We rarely negate it, but it is possible. When we do use it, you're likely to hear the adverb 'even' stuck in there. "It's not even worth a thought."

However, #2 is more common.

That said, there are two suggestions that are [STRIKE]worth a thought[/STRIKE]. Here, the native speaker says that he would use worth thinking about instead. Is he right?

It might be what he prefers, but there's nothing wrong with the original. It's a matter of preference, not grammar.

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
I only use 2 and 4.

Status