Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I don't know how you define grammar, but for me it is not a minor issue.

Vinko

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Indonesian
Home Country
Indonesia
Current Location
Australia
Just to emphasize that I'm not making up terms, "substantive" was frequently used centuries ago, but "nominal" has replaced the word to mean any word or group of words that performs the functions of a noun.

Obviously, I'm not creative enough nor is my English good enough to make up words.

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
It is not about you making up words; it's about whether we need need more words to identify a noun.

Vinko

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Indonesian
Home Country
Indonesia
Current Location
Australia
Well, I highly disagree identifying gerunds as nouns, in a one-to-one relationship, as blatant as "Gerunds are nouns," purely because they belong to different categories.

English is confusing enough already for non-anglophones. There is a need for students to be able to clearly identify words, to avoid confusions.

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
And you are the one making it more confusing, in my opinion. "Gerund" is not a part of speech; "noun" is. Gerunds act as nouns. There is no way around that. "Infinitive" is not a part of speech; they can act as nouns, adjectives, and adverbs.

Vinko

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Indonesian
Home Country
Indonesia
Current Location
Australia
Well, I disagree. I think verbals are a part of speech, according to my personal study materials.

Clearly, the confusion arises from whether or not they are a part of speech.

If I recall correctly, there is no complete agreement among grammarians on what constitutes the complete parts of speech. However, there would be no confusion if one were to emphasize that the functions of certain words perform the same functions of nouns, instead of just calling them nouns, because not every student is exposed to the same set of the parts of speech.

Due to having no universal parts of speech, I am not making it more confusing than you.

Perhaps the moderators here should create a thread dedicated to declaring what are the parts of speech that apply for this forum, so that we are all in complete agreement.

Last edited:

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Find me a credible source that identifies "verbals" as a part of speech. I have no idea what your personal study materials are. Are they accepted by anyone but you? This discussion is becoming tedious. You obviously have strong opinions. Are your credentials as strong? You list yourself as a student/learner.

Vinko

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Indonesian
Home Country
Indonesia
Current Location
Australia
Clearly, if there are sources that identify verbals to be a part of speech, there are other people who think so.

Credible or not, to students, we do not always research the authors. We focus our attention on studying English only.

Have I not emphasized enough that I am just a student? I talk as a student. I talk from the point of view of a student, why certain things taught by teachers are confusing.

Is the point of what I said above about me being an authoritative figure in declaring what is or is not a part of speech?

You've clearly missed the point. The true point is, as I said above, students are exposed to different sets of the parts of speech. Why can't you realize that? It's not rocket science.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
This site has a glossary. I am 99.99% sure that the parts of speech are in there.

People will offer their advice (especially if it is asked for). Nobody has to accept it.

Everybody makes mistakes. (Even me!) We just have to accept that nobody is perfect.

Did I forget anything?
:)

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
And your opinions are not rocket science either. You clearly need a lot more experience. And I encourage you to get some.

Vinko

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Indonesian
Home Country
Indonesia
Current Location
Australia
Actually, the pronoun it refers to my own statement. I encourage you to read properly.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Perhaps the moderators here should create a thread dedicated to declaring what are the parts of speech that apply for this forum, so that we are all in complete agreement.

I honestly don't see why that would be necessary- different people use different terms and somehow we get by, and underlying different terms there are often different views.

Status
Not open for further replies.