Interested in Language
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Hello,

Sometimes, when I visit historic monuments, I see that some inconsiderate people have written down their name on the walls or other places of these monuments. Is there a name for that? I know it is a kind of vandalism. But is there a specific name for it?

For example, in this sentence: Some inconsiderate tourists leave...on the walls of monuments.

fsdsf.jpg

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan

alpacinou

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran

I see. I thought that was for paintings and works of art on the walls. So, even when a person writes down just their name on the wall of a historic monument, that is a graffiti? It's not art as it damages that monument.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Most graffiti is what we call "tags". That's a string of letters making up the identity of the writer. A lot of the time, they're illegible but other graffitists (yes, that was a new word to me too!) will recognise them.
Graffiti is basically anything written or drawn on someone else's (outside) property.

alpacinou

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Most graffiti is what we call "tags". That's a string of letters making up the identity of the writer. A lot of the time, they're illegible but other graffitists (yes, that was a new word to me too!) will recognise them.
Graffiti is basically anything written or drawn on someone else's (outside) property.

This is a monument. Some idiot has just written down their name and the date on it. It's not artistic at all. That person has no sense of art.

https://images.khabaronline.ir//images/2018/8/18-8-17-99917.jpg

Is this again a graffiti?

Is this sentence okay?

In underdeveloped parts of the world, tourism can have a detrimental impact on historic\historical(?) monuments as some irresponsible tourists leave graffiti on the walls of such monuments.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
This is a monument. Some idiot has just written down their name and the date on it. It's not artistic at all. That person has no sense of art.
Is this again a graffiti?

I repeat, graffiti is anything written or drawn on someone else's property. That covers houses, shops, garden walls, monuments, public buildings ... you get the idea! So yes, I can assure you that the photo depicts graffiti.

alpacinou

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Thanks. Is this sentence okay?

In underdeveloped parts of the world, tourism can have a detrimental impact on historic\historical(?) monuments as some irresponsible tourists leave graffiti on the walls of such monuments.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
It's OK. (I prefer historic.)

Graffiti is literally centuries old. It has been around for a very long time. The problem has existed as long as there have been walls to write on.

alpacinou

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
It's OK. (I prefer historic.)

Graffiti is literally centuries old. It has been around for a very long time. The problem has existed as long as there have been walls to write on.

But it's really sad in our age to see some people leaving graffiti on the wall of monuments. We cannot say this is natural we should come to terms with it because it existed in the past.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
But it's really sad in our age to see some people leaving graffiti on the walls of monuments. We cannot say this is natural and we should come to terms with it because it existed in the past.

I didn't mean to say that. Anyhow, there are ways to discourage that sort of thing.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
But it's really sad in our age to see some people leaving graffiti on the wall of monuments.

I would call that vandalism. I must be getting old and grumpy, but I would arrest them and those idiots who pose nude in religious and other historic sites for selfies, deport them, then confiscate their passports.

Status
Not open for further replies.