Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
United Arab Emirates
Current Location
United Arab Emirates
I have seen many ways of writing percentages. It sometimes precedes with the preposition "with", "at" and inside parentheses. How do I differentiate between using "at" with percentage and using "with" with percentage?

Piscean

Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Europe
Current Location
Czech Republic
Can you give an example of a sentence containing the percentage expression you wish to use?

Last edited by a moderator:

mrmvp

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
United Arab Emirates
Current Location
United Arab Emirates
Can you give an example of a sentence containing the percentage expression you wish to use?

Thank you.

1.The second largest percentage of electricity generation in Germany was coal with 56 percent in 1980.
2. The percentage of people who cycled to work was significantly higher than those who commuted by train at 22%.
3. 45% of the customer service results were satisfactory whereas 5% was excellent.

I guess I can use parentheses with number two and three and omit the preposition "at".

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Give us the chart(s), so we can see what you mean. Please do this every time.

mrmvp

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
United Arab Emirates
Current Location
United Arab Emirates
Give us the chart(s), so we can see what you mean. Please do this every time.

Thank you @jutfrank and @Piscean for your comments. Although I don't want to cause any trouble to any teachers, the charts are attached below. With regard to number two, it is made up information. I just want to know if the sentence is grammatical or not. I am sorry I don't know how to post the pictures on the post. I attached them.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231108-141511.png
    Screenshot_20231108-141511.png
    420.5 KB · Views: 11
  • Screenshot_20231108-142453.png
    Screenshot_20231108-142453.png
    522.1 KB · Views: 11

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
The second largest percentage of electricity generation in Germany was coal with 56 percent in 1980.

You've misread the chart. Look again.

What you have to do is compare the data. Look at the situation in 1980, and then look at the situation in 2010 and describe the changes.

mrmvp

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
United Arab Emirates
Current Location
United Arab Emirates
You've misread the chart. Look again.

What you have to do is compare the data. Look at the situation in 1980, and then look at the situation in 2010 and describe the changes.

Thank you so much @jutfrank

The second largest percentage of electricity generation in New Zealand was coal with 56 units in 1980 whereas in Germany it was comprised of 28 units in the same year.

For me. It is not crystal clear which pie chart refers to New Zealand and which one refers to Germany. I will assume that the first pie chart on the left refers to New Zealand (since it is mentioned first in the description) and the pie chart in the bottom is Germany (it is mentioned latter in the description, comparing the years 1980 and 2010.

Link of the pie charts

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
The two on the top row represent New Zealand and the two underneath them represent Germany. To be fair, this is not clear at first glance. It can only be worked out by reading the second sentence under the charts, which says "Between these years, electricity generation almost doubled, rising from 127 units to 200 in New Zealand, and from 107 to 214 units in Germany". Those numbers can be found just above each pie chart.

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
The fact is that the key (which chart relates to Germany and which relates to New Zealand) is missing. A real IELTS question wouldn't do that.

I'd urge you, mrmvp, to get your questions from somewhere else.

mrmvp

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
United Arab Emirates
Current Location
United Arab Emirates
The two on the top row represent New Zealand and the two underneath them represent Germany. To be fair, this is not clear at first glance. It can only be worked out by reading the second sentence under the charts, which says "Between these years, electricity generation almost doubled, rising from 127 units to 200 in New Zealand, and from 107 to 214 units in Germany". Those numbers can be found just above each pie chart.

Without mentioning the words "the former" and "the latter" make the charts not clear enough. It took me some time to recognize the charts. Could you please check sentence two and three in post#3 and post#7 for the sentence starting with "The second largest" are grammatically correct?

Thank you @jutfrank and @emsr2d2 for your contributions.

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq
I have seen many ways of writing describing percentages. It Sometimes, precedes with the preposition "with" is used, and other times "at" is used and inside parentheses. How do I differentiate between using "at" with percentage and using "with" with percentages?
"With" is typically used as part of a participle clause, whereas "at" is used when you simply state what the percentage figure is.

For example:
In 1980, petroleum was the smallest sector in the chart for New Zealand, at just 11%.
or
In 1980, petroleum was the smallest sector in the chart for New Zealand, with only 11% of total electricity generated from it.

Also (for the second diagram):
In 2010, the proportion of people who thought the customer service was "very poor" was much lower, at a mere 4%.
In 2010, the situation improved, with well over a third of respondents considering
the customer service "good".