[Grammar] X-mas

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wouldn't you agree that behind any rule there is logic?
No.

Wouldn't you agree that each habit (language included) comes from a repitive action?
Yes. That's what a habit is.

And behind the repetitive action there must be some logic?
No, not in my understanding of logic - that is, a thoughtfully worked out reason to indulge in the repetitive action. Much of habit is instinctual, or conditioned requiring no logic at all.

So basically I was asking why this habit came into use.
I have no idea.
I guess it's hard to trace back... Well, if possible, shed some light upon it.

It may have beed a fad at one time and then it became a habit and later a rule?
Sure, why not. Have it your way.

PS: Thanks for pointing out my typos; I'll correct them. You missed one though - the lack of an apostrophe in daughter's.

2 Raymott:

And behind the repetitive action there must be some logic?
No, not in my understanding of logic - that is, a thoughtfully worked out reason to indulge in the repetitive action. Much of habit is instinctual, or conditioned requiring no logic at all.

Yes,I agree that sooner or later habits become instinctual. However, it takes time to repeat a certain action for it to become a habit. In this point we have different understanding of the word "logic". As I see it, it's more like:

c : interrelation or sequence of facts or events when seen as inevitable or predictable
(Merriam-Webster)

or

...a set of sensible reasons for doing something
(Longman DOCE)

It may not always be "a thoughtfully worked out reason" that makes a person involved in the repetitive action. As I see it, it may be that circumstances or environment make a person repeat a certain action often without thinking at all.

What's the logics here?

NOT A TEACHER

Mr. Vosmerkin,

(1) Many of us have been following your question and the great replies.

(2) It seems that a member in 2005 had the very same question.

(3) When you get time, you may wish to type the following thread title in the

search box:

We wish you A merry christmas

Wouldn't you agree that behind any rule there is logic?

(Not a teacher)

A rule is there for people who like to obey it.This way they show respect for he who introduced the rules, and join the community that is also obeying the rules.

(Not a teacher)

A rule is there for people who like to obey it. This way they show respect for him who introduced the rules, and join the community that is also obeying the rules.

But here He is the subject of thhe dependant clause sir...

But him is the object of the preposition for - and that comes first.

And the grammatical subject of the relative clause is 'who', not 'him/he'

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back