Student or Learner
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Spain
Current Location
Spain
Context:

Mark is tied up and going to be executed by beheading. Peter is a friend of Mark's, but he's not close to the scaffold (that's why I don't use just "call him"). What would the executioner say to Mark in a mocking and scornful way?

1- Come on Mark, yell at Peter and ask him for help.
2- Come on Mark, cry out for Peter and ask him for help.
3- Come on Mark, cry out at Peter and ask him for help.
4- Come on Mark, shout for Peter and ask him for help.
5- Come on Mark, call out to Peter and ask him for help.

Which ones are grammatically correct and which one is more idiomatic in the aforementioned context?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Context:

Mark is tied up and going to be executed by beheading. Peter is a friend of Mark's, but he's not close to the scaffold (that's why I don't use just "call him"). What would the executioner say to Mark in a mocking and scornful way?

1- Come on Mark, yell at Peter and ask him for help. :tick:
2- Come on Mark, cry out for Peter and ask him for help. :tick:
3- Come on Mark, cry out at Peter and ask him for help. :cross:
4- Come on Mark, shout for Peter and ask him for help. :tick:
5- Come on Mark, call out to Peter and ask him for help. :tick:

Which ones are grammatically correct and which one is more idiomatic in the aforementioned context?

What a bizarre situation you've given us to deal with. Given that it's a situation none of us has been in and, hopefully, never will be in, it's hard to say what would be likely/idiomatic!

As you can see above, four of them are grammatically correct. Sentence 1 is unlikely in that situation because "yell at someone" usually means that you're angry with them or you're telling them off.
I'm not really sure why you didn't want to use "call". It's louder than speaking. I'd say "Come on Mark, try calling [to] Peter for help".

carolmontes

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Spain
Current Location
Spain
Thanks, emsr2d2. I didn't want to use just "call" because Peter is at the other end of the square and I thought that both "shout for" and "cry our for" imply a voice level louder than "call". Am I wrong?

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Context:

1- Come on Mark, yell to Peter and ask him for help.
2- Come on Mark, cry out to Peter and ask him for help.
3- Come on Mark, cry out to Peter and ask him for help.
4- Come on Mark, shout to Peter and ask him for help.
5- Come on Mark, call out to Peter and ask him for help.

All are grammatical and idiomatic as corrected.

Status
Not open for further replies.