Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
The female Chinese boss: "You are very welcome to visit the company and guide us to better complete the work."
The American businessman:"OK. I will fly to China next month. See you then."
The boss: "Is it true? Looking forward to meet. Bye."

At this moment, a male assisstant of the boss flatters her: "Why is your English so excellent?"

Source: A snippet from a Chinese video

======================================
Excellent? I am not sure.

It seems to me that "You are very welcome" is usually used as a response to "Thank you very much" and so "You are very welcome to visit the company" doesn't sound natural to me. I am not sure.

Perhaps "You are most welcome to visit the company" works naturally in English. I am not sure.

PS. "Looking forward to meet" appears to be flawed and it should be "I look forward to meet you" ("Looking forward to meet you" works as well, perhaps).

Last edited:
How to make "guide us to better complete the work" natural?

How about "make the work better completed"? *

It seems to me that "You are very welcome" is usually used as a response to "Thank you very much" and so "You are very welcome to visit the company" doesn't sound natural to me. I am not sure.

Perhaps "You are most welcome to visit the company" works naturally in English. I am not sure. I agree with you. Also, "to visit us" would be more natural.

PS. "Looking forward to meet" appears to be flawed and it should be "I look forward to meet you" ("Looking forward to meet you" works as well, perhaps)

It should be look forward/looking forward to meeting (gerund) you. The pronoun is sometimes dropped in spoken English.

This other phrase is also not natural:

guide us to better complete the work
Perhaps: help us improve the efficiency/productivity of our work.

Why is your English so excellent?
I think the subordinate went overboard to praise the boss but it was hardly natural.

Last edited:
How to make "guide us to better complete the work" natural?

GoodTaste, you've been on the forum for three-and-a-half years and have made 1,875 posts. Please don't expect us to believe that you still think it's acceptable to open a question with "How to". :roll:

GoodTaste, you've been on the forum for three-and-a-half years and have made 1,875 posts. Please don't expect us to believe that you still think it's acceptable to open a question with "How to". :roll:

OK. But a scenario from Harry Potter is haunting me:

Harry Potter: Excuse me. Can you tell me how to get to the platform 9 3/4?
Ms Weasley: How to get to the platform 9 3/4? All You have to do is go straight to the wall...

I wonder why “How to” works well here.

Ms Weasley is repeating the last part of Harry's question before responding to it.

If so, I should have written "Could you tell me How to make "guide us to better complete the work" natural?"?

How [STRIKE]to[/STRIKE] do I/you/we make "guide us to better complete the work" natural?

Just add the subject/pronoun and auxiliary verb which were missing.

Your sentence is not a question.

Are you saying the sentence I should have written "Could you tell me how to make 'guide us to better complete the work' natural?"? is not a question? If it is not a question, why does it use a question mark?

That's what I said.
Presumably because you, the person who wrote it, intended it to be a question. If so, it would have been better to begin with 'Should I ...'

Suppose you've written it (I should have written "Could you tell me how to make 'guide us to better complete the work' natural?"?) without intention to make it a question. Why do you put a question mark to end it?

7. Can we write "What is your name?"? The logical way of punctuating a quoted direct question within a direct question. Many people, however, omit one of the question marks. I use both.

You may see that usage occasionally. It looks terrible to me. I recommend dropping the final question mark and letting the one inside the quotation do double duty, just as you would if it were a period ("full stop" in British English).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back