Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
1.What did the lady mean by "You can leave it with the staff in an envelope for Ann Shirley"? I guess "Ann shirley" is her name, but I don't understand the rest. It must be related to the internal practice of a department store.
2.English has this kind of "found herself helping him" in the form of "find+oneself+~ing". When you say this composition, does it usually mean "You realized that you were doing something"?

ex)It was a long day, which included picking up her son. At 6:30 p.m., Jane found herself at the local grocery store helping him with his homework. After unloading their cart at the checkout, Jane realized to her utter embarrassment that her wallet was not in the purse. Without any hesitation,the checkout lady in front of her said, “Put it through. I’ll take care of it.” Jane was shocked and hesitated, but the lady insisted. Jane asked about how to pay her back and the lady said, “You can leave it with the staff in an envelope for Ann Shirley.” She didn’t ask for her name or phone number ―not a thing. Jane and her son were amazed. It was a lovely gift to start off the new year. She reminded them that life is too short not to lend a helping hand when the opportunity arises.

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
1. Which part is troubling you? I read it to mean that she can put the money in an envelope, mark the envelope for "Ann Shirley" and give it to anyone working there.

2. It means, more or less, that one did not plan to be doing what they ended up doing. In this case, I would say she did not leave the house with the intention of going grocery shopping, but then decided to do the shopping while she was out.

keannu

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
They usually pay back any credit by credit card or debit card in Korea, but sometimes cash is also available. That's why I didn't get the meaning of "it" and the usage of "an envelope", but now it's clear. Thanks for your clarification.

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
This wasn't official store credit. This "Ann Shirley" is an employee and she personally used her own cash to pay for this lady's groceries, trusting her to return later to repay the money.

Status
Not open for further replies.