Staff member
Member Type
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Mr Tdol, why do you use "of" in this sentence?

It means that I am unaware of any places outside China where people have adopted this phrase. No can do & Long time, no see have both made inroads and are now widely used in many variants of English.

Lynxear

Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
Mr Lynxear, your English is too difficult for me to understand!

I am sorry that you are having trouble. However, with practice you will find you will understand it better and better.

As andrewq927 mentions in a post. You should be very careful about assigning Mr./Miss/Mrs./Ms. to someone's web handle. In this case you guessed correctly and I am male. Also, saying Mr. Lynxear makes the name very formal. We are not that formal here.

Tdol

Editor, UsingEnglish.com
Staff member
Member Type
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
And we don't really know if Lynxear is the gentleman's first name or family name, and we don't use Mr/Ms, etc, with first names without surnames. Usernames don't give us that information. If his name is Lynxear Postlethwaite, it would not be correct to call him Mr Lynxear. You could call him Mr Postlethwaite, or Mr Lynxear Postlethwaite.

preachers

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
I don't think you should attach Mr. to anyone on here unless you are certain of their gender.

Hi andrewg927, could you please explain the expression"on here" for me? To my knowledge, the preposition "on" doesn't need to be there before "here".

preachers

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
I'm Chinese. It's surprising to see these words being mentioned here, they are translated literally from Chinese sentences in Chinese order. They're just jokes for us, not even an informal expression. When a Chinese people say any of these Chinglish, he/she is kidding. These words are for Chinese people only, we don't say English like this when we talk to a native speaker. On top of this, these words are used to ironize the unsuccessful English education in China.

andrewg927

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Hi andrewg927, could you please explain the expression"on here" for me? To my knowledge, the preposition "on" doesn't need to be there before "here".

"On here" is "on this forum" but you can omit "on" and it is still correct.

preachers

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Thanks for your answer! By the way, this is my topic several days ago, could you have it a look?

Status
Not open for further replies.