Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
England
I've been trying to crack down on reported speech for some time now. I've come to the conclusion that we don't really follow it's rules much but tend to act on logic.

Take this sentence for exmaple...
John: "I am feeling quite low."

If I report that to someone else, reported speech requires that I backshift which would be...
I:"John told me / said that he was feeling quite low."

Now, logically speaking, that doesn't make sense as I'm fully aware that he is still feeling low, so, I would rather say...

I:"John told me / said that he's feeling quite low."

Now that I've mentioned all of the above it should hopefully make my question a little clearer..

When we say "Didn't tell" why do we rarely use the present tense? For example, I've just met my girlfriend's brother and I wasn't aware of his existance, so I look at my girlfriend and say... "You didn't tell me you had a brother." Why not "Have a brother."? I mean, if she were to say to me "I have a brother." I am then able to report that to someone else as "She told me / said that she has / had a brother."

And what about this scenario.
My mother's friends are going on their first holiday soon but didn't mention anything to her.

I:" Didn't they tell you that they were going on holiday?";
I:"Didn't they tell you that they are going on holiday this weekend?"

Do you see how I've completed changed the verb tense? I am not even sure if the second sentence is correct, all of this is rather complex when I stop and analyse it all.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
When a situation is still valid and relevant at the time of speaking, backshifting is optional. If using the present tense helps the listener to understand the situation, you can use it.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
I've been trying to crack down on reported speech for some time now. I've come to the conclusion that we don't really follow it's (no apostrophe) rules much but tend to act on logic.
There are no 'rules' that insist on backshifting when the words reported are still valid. however, some teachers recommend that their students always backshift. It is almost never incorrect.

Last edited:

FalaGringo

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
England
So it is perfectly normal to say "You didn't tell me you have a brother."?

Last edited by a moderator:

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
If you start with "So it is ...", don't use a question mark at the end. You're not asking a question. You're making a statement. To turn it into a question, start with "So is it ..."

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
As long as the brother is alive.

Status
Not open for further replies.