Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Harvard University tweeted:
The CDC now says that if you are fully vaccinated, you don’t have to wear a mask or social distance, except when required by law or other regulations. But what do you do if you have children who aren’t vaccinated?
Source
======================================

It seems to me that "you don’t have to wear a mask or social distance" should have been "you don’t have to wear a mask or keep social distance" - That is, "keep" should not be omitted.
Do you agree?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Initially, people said "socially distance" as the verb but I've been seeing "social distance" as a verb more and more recently.

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
English is generally very quick to adopt new phrasal verbs. They don't always stick, of course.

One day my high school had a ski outing. Kids in my bus were talking about how nice it was when they got a row of seats to themselves. A girl said, "One time I one-seated it the whole way!" I'm sure none of us had ever heard the verb she'd just invented, but we all immediately understood what she meant.

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
I think the action 'to practice social distancing" is more common though "to social distance" is catching up.

Phaedrus

Banned
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I think the action 'to practice social distancing" is more common though "to social distance" is catching up.

Interestingly, as the pandemic draws to a close (knock on wood), some people have started to speak of "social closening" as the opposite of "social distancing."

I doubt we'll ever have "social closen" as a verb, though!

Status
Not open for further replies.