"Young adults who are still staying with their parents may become so accustomed to their parents solving their problems that they find dealing..."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Igbo
Home Country
Nigeria
Current Location
Nigeria
"This trend has an overall harmful effect. The major downside is that it places a financial burden on parents."

"Young adults who are still staying with their parents may become so accustomed to their parents solving their problems that they find dealing with their own issues difficult."

1) Did I use "place a burden" correctly in the 1st sentence?

2) For the 2nd sentence, did I use the "..so....that..." grammar structure accurately, and will the sentence be better if I put "may later" before "find dealing..."?

3) Are these sentences grammatical?

4) Is this a better way to write the 2nd sentence: "Young adults still staying with their parents may become so accustomed to having their problems being taken care of by their parents that they find dealing with their own issues difficult" ?

Last edited:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I'd change "who are still staying" to "who continue to live with". I think the rest is overly wordy. I'd say "might become so used to their parents solving all their problems that they struggle to become independent".

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
"I will if you will."

As the sentence above demonstrates, "will" sometimes pairs with "if" in a sentence. However, "would" is usually the better choice.

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
How about this?

Young adults who stay with their parents may become so used to relying on their parents that they would find it hard to adapt to living on their own.

Status
Not open for further replies.