Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Ukrainian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
John files a job application at a company called XXX. The next day he's informed that he's invited for an interview. Later that day, he goes to that company's office, comes up to the reception desk and says to the receptionist: "Hello! My name is John Smith. Your representative called me this morning and invited me for an interview. The interview is scheduled for 3:00pm today." The receptionist checks that information and replies to John with one of the sentences below.

1. It appears you've been misinformed. Your application has been turned down.

2. It appears you were misinformed. Your application was turned down.

Which of the above versions is correct in the context given? I'm wondering about the tenses in bold. Thanks in advance.

Barque

Banned
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
India
Current Location
Singapore
Neither work to my ears. They both suggest that the company isn't at fault, but the reason John's come there is because he was called for an interview, so the company is at fault.

I'm sorry but your application has been rejected. It looks like our representative made a mistake.

Last edited:

EngLearner

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Ukrainian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
Does the simple past work in your suggested version, Barque:

I'm sorry but your application was rejected. It looks like our representative made a mistake.

Barque

Banned
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
India
Current Location
Singapore
John has indeed been misinformed. But you'd normally tell someone they've been misinformed only if you (or someone working with you) aren't responsible for the misinformation.

The receptionist represents the company, and the misinformation came from another employee of the company, so it wouldn't be appropriate in this case.

EngLearner

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Ukrainian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
I'm sorry but your application was rejected. It looks like our representative made a mistake.
But is it possible to say "was rejected" rather than "has been rejected" in your example in post #2, @Barque? Thanks in advance.

Last edited by a moderator:

Skrej

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States

Barque

Banned
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
India
Current Location
Singapore
I'm sorry but your application was rejected.
"Has been" comes more naturally to me in this context. I wouldn't use "was" here. The speaker's referring to something that happened very recently (the rejection) and also talking about it in relation to the present (because of the rejection, there'll be no interview).

Last edited:

EngLearner

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Ukrainian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
Does this work:

I'm sorry, but it looks like our representative has misinformed you. Your application has been rejected.