Student or Learner
Native Language
Vietnamese
Home Country
Vietnam
Current Location
Vietnam
Last edited:
Should the boldfaced phrase be "your best bet"?

Yes, it should. The internet is full of such mistakes, as it is often written at speed with little more than a cursory spellcheck, so don't be surprised when you see such mistakes.

Your/you're and there/they're/their are without a doubt the most common mistakes you'll find on the Internet.

Sadly, it's not limited to posts/comments by individuals. I've seen such basic grammar errors in even the most "reputable" of sources. It's as if somehow posting something on the Internet removes any sense of responsibility to proofread.

Or at least I hope it's just related to carelessness, not an actual lack of awareness.

Your/you're and there/they're/their are without a doubt the most common mistakes you'll find on the Internet.

I wonder whether loose/lose should also be in that group, especially with the number of keyboard warriors who want to call someone a loser and use looser instead.

They're different. They irritate me immensely, I suppose because they're not even homophones, so they're not typos. They are instances of people not being able to spell 'lose'.

When I see such mistakes in the Internet, I usually assume that the person isn't a native speaker. :roll: Do native speakers make the same mistake?

Yes, all those mistakes are very common among native Anglophones.

I wonder whether loose/lose should also be in that group,

Funnily enough, I once lived in a village in Kent called Loose and it was pronounced 'lose'.

They're different. They irritate me immensely, I suppose because they're not even homophones, so they're not typos. They are instances of people not being able to spell 'lose'.

Good point- I here you're anger. ;-)

Yes it was a humorous (?) illustration of the type of mistake being discussed.
I knew that but I was curious about the actual meaning of it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome to the forum, Marvin.

Please read the forum rules and posting guidelines, one of which reads

You are welcome to answer questions posted in the Ask a Teacher forum as long as your suggestions, help, and advice reflect a good understanding of the English language. If you are not a teacher, you will need to state that clearly in your post. Please note, all posts are moderated by our in-house language experts, so make sure your suggestions, help, and advice provide the kind of information an international language teacher would offer. If not, and your posts do not contribute to the topic in a positive way, they will be subject to deletion.

I deleted your post because it did not contribute anything useful to the topic.

Likewise, I often see people write "women" when they intend to write the singular "woman" (e.g. "there was a women who..."). They are also pronounced quite differently.

I deleted your post because it did not contribute anything useful to the topic.

Marvin is a spammer. He will spam us no more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back