Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Ukrainian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
And I think people often misunderstand horology; that watches is just a tiny part of this story that has run... ran, sorry, parallel to human history [...]
(10 Essential Ways To Be A Better Watch Collector; YouTube)

Would you be so kind as to tell me whether I've heard everything correctly and if so, what was the point of correcting himself?

Thanks.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
I think you're right, and he corrects himself by substituting something incorrect when he was right the first time. And I would use watches are.

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
There are two explanations that I can offer. Since he seems to be a reasonably competent native-speaker, I don't know which is more likely.

1. He simply gets it wrong. He thinks he's made a mistake where he hasn't. He mistakenly corrects his grammar. (has run to has ran)

2. Something happens in his mind where he wants to change from present tense to past tense. (has run to ran) The conceptual end point of the timeframe in question somehow changes mid-sentence.

When he says Watches is, I think he's using Watches to mean the history of watches. It shows he's conceiving a singular subject.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
This kind of correction often occurs in speech when we are making changes on the fly. It is not always correct.

Status
Not open for further replies.