[General] Even though we've only met once...(40 words)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Silverobama

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Hi.

I am trying to improve my writing skills by using different words and the following is a new attempt. The context is that I met a very nice middle-aged woman once and we had dinner together. I was seeing the photos and reading the things she posted in one of the apps we both use. After seeing those photos and reading those articles, I wrote to her:

Even though we've only met once, I am just wondering why such an elegant woman like you could possess so many best qualities. You're talented and intelligent. I'm also impressed by your versatility. * Don't stay up too late. Good night. **

*: I said she's versatile because she can do yoga. She's a host. She's a teacher of a local kindergarten and can dance and sing. Also, she's a wonderful housewife.
**: I don't think the last two sentences are coherent with the former sentences, but she likes staying up too late. So I add it to be a gentle reminder.

Please help me with my short paragraph in italics.

Last edited:

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Hi.

I am trying to improve my writing skills by using different words, and the following is a new attempt. The context is that I met a very nice middle-aged woman once, and we had dinner together. And I was seeing the photos and reading the things she posted in one of the Apps we both use. After seeing those photos and reading those articles, I wrote to her:

Even though we've only met once, I am just wondering how such an elegant woman as you could possess so many good/great/fine qualities. You're talented and intelligent. I'm also impressed by your versatility. * Don't stay up too late. Good night. **

*: I said she's versatile because she can do yoga, she's a hostess, she's a teacher at a local kindergarten, and she can dance and sing. Also, she's a wonderful housewife.
**: I don't think the last two sentences are congruent with the former sentences, but she likes staying up too late, so I added it as a gentle reminder.

Please help me with my short paragraph in italics.
Choosing between why and how can be tricky. You might spend some time reviewing the uses of each.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I assumed from the tone and wording of your message that you were flirting slightly with this woman, perhaps hoping for a romantic relationship with her. I didn't spot the fact that you said she's a housewife. I hope you're aware that her husband might be rather taken aback by the contents of the message.

Silverobama

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
I assumed from the tone and wording of your message that you were flirting slightly with this woman, perhaps hoping for a romantic relationship with her. I didn't spot the fact that you said she's a housewife. I hope you're aware that her husband might be rather taken aback by the contents of the message.

Thanks a lot for your reminder, emsr2d2. Actually there isn't such a woman in my life and I won't be the third person of any woman. I once met a woman who asked me out for dinner and I knew she was romantically interested in me but I refused her.

I wonder if you can comment my italic sentences from the British English perspective so that I can improve my skills of writing and using different words and sentence structures. I think CB's AE version is good enough.

Last edited:

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
How about these:

I wonder if you can comment
on my italic sentences from the British English perspective so that I can improve my skills [STRIKE]of[/STRIKE] in writing and using different words and sentence structures. I think CB's AE version is good enough.

... the last two sentence are [STRIKE]coherent[/STRIKE]
related to the [STRIKE]former[/STRIKE] earlier sentences.

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq
Silverobama: you're still making comma splice errors.

Silverobama

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Silverobama: you're still making comma splice errors.

I fixed the possible comma splice errors in my posts. Would you please help me with my paragraph?

Last edited:

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq
In future, please don't do that. It makes a mess of the thread, especially when people have already replied to it. Instead, write the revised version in a new post.
A more natural way of putting it would be:
"I said she's versatile because she can do yoga, is a hostess and a local local kindergarten teacher, and she can dance and sing as well as being a wonderful housewife".

Silverobama

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
In future, please don't do that. It makes a mess of the thread, especially when people have already replied to it. Instead, write the revised version in a new post.

Got it!

A more natural way of putting it would be:
"I said she's versatile because she can do yoga, is a hostess and a local [STRIKE]local[/STRIKE] kindergarten teacher, and she can dance and sing as well as being a wonderful housewife".

I appreciate your help, teechar. I'll pay attention to it or correct my mistakes in a new post.

Would you please take a look at the italic sentences (short paragraph) in the OP to see if it's natural in BE?

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq
Even though we've only met once, I am [STRIKE]just wondering why[/STRIKE] amazed how such an elegant woman like you [STRIKE]could possess[/STRIKE] can have so many [STRIKE]best[/STRIKE] great/wonderful qualities. You're multi-talented and so intelligent. [STRIKE]I'm also impressed by your versatility.[/STRIKE] Anyway, don't stay up too late. Good night.
Try that.

Status
Not open for further replies.