Student or Learner
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
What's the weather like?
It's springy / summery / fally / wintery.

I'm confused. Is the answer correct?

Spring-like
Summery
Fall-like
Wintry

Fall-like

Or in BrE, "fall-like" would be "autumnal".

You can also use "vernal" instead of "spring-like", but it's less common than "autumnal" I suspect, and most often used when talking about equinoxes. "Hibernal" exists in place of "wintry", "aestival" exists in place of "summery", but again both are more uncommon and sound a little formal, or possibly poetic. They wouldn't be used to describe the weather in general conversation. "Autumnal" is still in general use.

Last edited:
We do say "autumn" in the US, but I associate "autumnal" only with the word "equinox." I might say "autumn-y" in spoken English, though.

I associate "autumnal" only with the word "equinox." I might say "autumn-y" in spoken English, though.

Honestly, I might too, but I'd never write it down, and I'd only say it in very informal situations! I actually really like the word autumnal, I think it makes a lovely sound and is somehow very evocative of the season.

What's the weather like?
It's springy / summery / fally / wintery.

I'm confused. Is the answer correct?

In a casual setting I would use/hear "springy", "summery" or "wintery", but using "fally" would result in receiving strange looks, but "fall-like" would work.. But again, in a casual setting, if I used "autumnal", the friends I associate with would think I had recently returned from charm school. So, in describing the typical weather here in the N.E. of the U.S., in contrast to summer and winter weather, I might say "chilly" or "brisk".

Honestly, I might too, but I'd never write it down, and I'd only say it in very informal situations! I actually really like the word autumnal, I think it makes a lovely sound and is somehow very evocative of the season.

It's a fun word to say, cause the emphasis changes. AUT-um. a-TUM-nal

Other '-mn' words behave the same - at least, they used to: you don't hear the n in 'column' but you do (in my book) in 'columnist'. Some newsreaders recently have started dropping the n though.

b

We should be able to say "springy weather". The spring always "puts a spring in my step".;-)

:up: And you can, of course, have 'springy heather';-)

b

Sorry, I couldn't resist. One of the best movies of all time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back