[General] What does "the messages are only silly and trivial to be entirely unjustified by his

Status
Not open for further replies.

jacob123

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
What does "the messages are only silly and trivial to be entirely unjustified by his

What does "the messages are only silly and trivial to be entirely unjustified by his experience" mean?

It is interesting to note that du Prel proclaims the assertion that the messages are only silly and trivial to be entirely unjustified by his experience, while at the same time he asserts that he has found no traces of superhuman intelligence, but of course, before pronouncing upon such a point, one has to determine how a superhuman intelligence could be distinguished and how far it would be intelligible to our brains.

"The History of Spiritualism," by Arthur Conan Doyle

Last edited:

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Re: What does "the messages are only silly and trivial to be entirely unjustified by

The sentence that text is in doesn't make sense. It looks like an editing error to me.

jacob123

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Re: What does "the messages are only silly and trivial to be entirely unjustified by

The sentence that text is in doesn't make sense. It looks like an editing error to me.

I checked it. It is correct. There is no error in it. I compared it with many editions of that book.

Last edited:

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States

i checked it. it is correct. there is no error in it.
What did you compare it with? How do you know its source doesn't have an error?

Always capitalize the word "I" and the first letter of each sentence.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK

Please correct the information in your member profile. You appear to have chosen three random responses.

PeterCW

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England

It looks as if Conan Doyle just lost track of what he was trying to say in such a ponderous sentence.

If you substitute "is" for "to be" then the whole thing starts to make some sort of sense.

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England

It makes good sense to me: Someone asserted that the messages are silly and trivial. Du Prel disagrees with this, based on his experience.

I can understand why other members are having difficulty. The sentence uses the pattern: proclaim something to be something

Du Prel proclaims the assertion that the messages are only silly and trivial to be entirely unjustified by his experience

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England

Jacob, I see you are also posting threads about this book on WordReference Forums.

Please do not post the same question on both forums at the same time.

jacob123

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran

It makes good sense to me: Someone asserted that the messages are silly and trivial. Du Prel disagrees with this, based on his experience.

I can understand why other members are having difficulty. The sentence uses the pattern: proclaim something to be something

Du Prel proclaims the assertion that the messages are only silly and trivial to be entirely unjustified by his experience
Thank you so much.

jacob123

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran

Jacob, I see you are also posting threads about this book on WordReference Forums.

Please do not post the same question on both forums at the same time.

Ok. Thanks. but what can i do when they don not answer me?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK

OK, thanks, but what can I do when they [STRIKE]don not[/STRIKE] don't answer me?

Read the advice again. If you don't get any answers on another forum, you can ask here, but you must tell us that you have asked elsewhere and explain why you are asking on a second forum.

Status
Not open for further replies.