Gerund? Linking verb?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mark mayne

Member Type
Other
My student challenged me to come up with a complete sentence that has only one verb and that verb would end in -ing. HELP! Has any one else heard of this challenge or have the answer. :?:

My student challenged me to come up with a complete sentence that has only one verb and that verb would end in -ing. HELP! Has any one else heard of this challenge or have the answer. :?:
Do you think it's possible to have a sentence with only an -ing verb?

Learning is effective.

It's a sentence that contains only one verb which ends in an "-ing".
However, this would be way too easy... :-?

A sentence that has only one WORD (does not matter if it's a verb or whatever) can't exist in my opinion...

Cheers!

Learning is effective.

It's a sentence that contains only one verb which ends in an "-ing".
However, this would be way too easy... :-?

Cheers!
In your sentence, the verb is "is". "Learning" is a gerund, and a gerund functions as a noun.

Each grammatical sentence has to have a finite verb. An -ing form is non-finite. If there is no other verb in the sentence, that means there is no finite verb. In this case, by definition, the cluster of words do not constitute a grammatical sentence.

QED.

If this is a trick question, and the wording of the question has been correctly reported, then "Please bring me my lunch" would be one of an infinite number of solutions.

bring, cling, ring

Damn I am blind! And with laclustre power of imagination.

I tried bring but acording to the rules I would have to use bringing. I am stumped. My next thought was "Thanks for trying".

Perhaps it was a trick question. They weren't specifying that it has to be the the -ing form/participle of a verb, but just a verb that ends in -ing, so that bring, cling, etc. meet the rules.

What was the answer to this little tea-time teaser?

What was the answer to this little tea-time teaser?
1...The rules of this exercise seem to be unclear, so it is a waste of time to pursue it further.
2...If the sentence requires a real verb with an added "ing" suffix, the task is impossible. (At least without spending/wasting a lot of time thinking about it, that is my answer.)

complete sentence that has only one verb and that verb would end in -ing.

Bring me food.

Is it a complete sentence? Yes.
Does it have one verb? Yes.
Does the verb end in -ing? Yes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back