Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Kuwait
Current Location
Kuwait
hello :)

In "Little Women", Amy is described as:
"A regular snow maiden, with blue eyes and yellow hair curling over the shoulders, pale an slender ..."

I searched all over looking for the meaning of "snow maiden". It seems to refer to a russian character. But the novelist here uses the phrase to describe a certain type of extreme European beauty.

So, can I say X is a snow maiden meaning that she is really beautiful? Or it is not used?

Thank you.

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I don't recall this phrase, but I assume the author meant she had very pale skin.

Ducklet Cat

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Kuwait
Current Location
Kuwait
Thanks.
Here is the page:
Little Women - Louisa May Alcott -

From the context, It seems that she mean more than the reference to her pale skin. Is she using "snow maiden" to describe "Californian beauty"?

The other hypothesis, is that she means that she is heard-hearted, just like to snow maiden who had no heart in the first place:

This is the story pf the snow maiden
In one story, she is the daughter of Spring and Frost, who yearns for the companionship of mortal humans. She grows to like a shepherd named Lel, but her heart is unable to know love. Her mother takes pity and gives her this ability, but as soon as she falls in love, her heart warms up and she melts.

billmcd

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Thanks.
Here is the page:
Little Women - Louisa May Alcott -

From the context, It seems that she mean more than the reference to her pale skin. Is she using "snow maiden" to describe "Californian beauty"?

The other hypothesis, is that she means that she is heard-hearted, just like to snow maiden who had no heart in the first place:

This is the story pf the snow maiden

The "Snow Maiden" is from a Russian childrens' fairy tale. The children roll snow balls together to create the figure of the character.

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
"Snow" and "California" don't usually go together in peoples' minds. If you said "California beauty" I would think sun-tanned skin.

Ducklet Cat

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Kuwait
Current Location
Kuwait
The "Snow Maiden" is from a Russian childrens' fairy tale. The children roll snow balls together to create the figure of the character.

I see. But a snow maiden when used to describe a woman means what?
- An extremely pale woman?
- A perfectly beautiful woman?
- A hard-hearted woman?

Ducklet Cat

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Kuwait
Current Location
Kuwait
"Snow" and "California" don't usually go together in peoples' minds. If you said "California beauty" I would think sun-tanned skin.

Thanks for bringing that to my attention.
I've always though that California beauty is epitomized in Barbie, who has a pale skin.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
It is impossible to tell what was in the mind of the character who used those words. I would guess that the first of your suggestions is rather more likely than the other two,

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I see. But a snow maiden when used to describe a woman means what?
- An extremely pale woman?
- A perfectly beautiful woman?
- A hard-hearted woman?

I don't know if it can be said to have only one meaning. The Snow Maiden in the original Russian fairy tale is a half-mythical, half-real being. Of the three possibilities you suggested, I would expect perhaps #1 and #3 to be possible, but probably not #2. However, the context of the rest of the piece where "snow maiden" is used should give you an idea of what the writer meant by it.

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Since the paragraphs that follow say that the characters of the girls will be discovered later, I think you can be fairly sure it applies only to her appearance. She's light-colored all over - light eyes (blue), light hair (blonde), light skin.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Thanks for bringing that to my attention.
I've always though that California beauty is epitomized in Barbie, who has a pale skin.

Have a look here and read the History section. The doll was manufactured in America but it was based on a German doll, and is simply described as a "blonde bombshell" although the original was available as either a blonde or a brunette.

Status
Not open for further replies.