Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
Hi,

Which of the following definitions fits the use of "claim" in "He claimed a place on the team"?

1. to ask for something of value because you think it belongs to you or because you think you have a right to it:
2. to gain, win or achieve

I'd appreciate your help.

Last edited by a moderator:

Without context, by far the most likely interpretation of the sentence is that he was selected for the team by the coach or manager.

Without context, by far the most likely interpretation of the sentence is that he was selected for the team by the coach or manager.

I find it difficult to determine what kind of object sense 2 takes.
When "claim" takes "victory" as the object, it does not mean "achieve victory" as sense 2 indicates.

Last edited:
#1, and in that sense or context sometimes arbitrary or controversial.

#1, and in that sense or context sometimes arbitrary or controversial.

Just to be sure, do you think "claim" means "to ask for something of value" in "He claimed a place on the team," pace jutfrank?

I think of it as more of a demand than a request. The person is saying it is something they deserve.

(My opinion.)

I think of it as more of a demand than a request. The person is saying it is something they deserve.

(My opinion.)

Are you referring to the example sentence "He claimed a place on the team"?

Yes. (That's the one we're talking about.)
:)

It depends on context. I would say that if a place on the team was on offer, he demonstrated the requisite talent/ability to play well, and the place was given to him, then he "claimed" it by "winning/achieving" it.

It depends on context. I would say that if a place on the team was on offer, he demonstrated the requisite talent/ability to play well, and the place was given to him, then he "claimed" it by "winning/achieving" it.

You seem to be saying the second sense applies. What about the first?

Ems said:

It depends on context.
:roll:

Is there a contradiction in ""He claimed a place on the team, but he was rejected"?

I reckon context has limits. I've met people who say "claim victory" cannot mean "achieve victory," despite the second sense I listed.

It depends on context.

Absolutely.

I thought (perhaps mistakenly) that raymondaliasapollyon was asking about the most likely interpretation without added context.

Is that right, Raymond?

I've just asked four other people what their interpretations are, and all four of them agree with me that the verb claim means that he took a place, rather than just asked.

I'm fairly surprised that posts #4 and #6 take the other interpretation. I really do think that's much less likely.

Last edited:
Among many similar definitions:"A demand for something due or believed to be true". And I'm seeking "four other people" who agree with me. :-D

I have decided that "He claimed a place on the team" means the same as "He joined the team"

I haven't seen that phrase before, and I doubt that I ever will again.

I'm out of here!
:hi:

Absolutely.

I thought (perhaps mistakenly) that raymondaliasapollyon was asking about the most likely interpretation without added context.

Is that right, Raymond?

I'm exploring the limits of context. Is there a contradiction in "John claimed the watch, but the police didn't give it to him"?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back