Member Type
Academic
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Egypt
Current Location
Egypt
Are the expressions in Italic and bold correct?

Listen to me Jane, it is lovely to hold memories for our beloved ones who have passed away. However, to consider raking up their memories and grieving for them a kind of loyalty is totally unacceptable.

Are the expressions in Italic and bold correct?

Listen to me Jane, it is lovely to hold memories of our beloved ones who have passed away. However, to consider raking up our memories of them and grieving for them a kind of loyalty is totally unacceptable.
To me, "their memories" sounds like the memories belonging to our loved ones, not Jane's memories of them. (It's not exactly wrong, but I think the above is clearer.)

Thank you very much indeed.

Am I missing something? The sentence as corrected is
However, to consider raking up our memories of them and grieving for them a kind of loyalty is totally unacceptable.
Shouldn't it be something like '...grieving for them IN/AS a kind [DISPLAY OF] of loyalty...' - which still makes a pretty odd kind of sense, but at least makes the sentence grammatically complete.

b

Last edited:
"Digging up" would be the expression in AmE.

Am I missing something? The sentence as corrected is

Shouldn't it be something like '...grieving for them IN/AS a kind [DISPLAY OF] of loyalty...' - which still makes a pretty odd kind of sense, but at least makes the sentence grammatically complete.

b
Yes, you're right. I didn't read the end carefully because the asked about bits were before that. The amended sentence is perhaps odd, but it makes sense. I've read stranger sentences in novels.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back