Other
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
Hello,

September 29, on the Eve of Patron Saint's Day, the All-Night Vigil was held by the clergy of Svyatogorsk Lavra in a cathedral church dedicated to Saints Faith, Hope, Charity and their mother Sophia, the Martyrs, being built by Svyatogorsk Lavra efforts.

Please check it for any grammatical mistakes.

If I say "...being built by its efforts.", can one understand that under "its" it is meant "Svyatogorsk Lavra"?

Thank you.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Hello,

On September 29, on the Eve of Patron Saint's Day, the All-Night Vigil was held by the clergy of Svyatogorsk Lavra in [STRIKE]a[/STRIKE] the cathedral [STRIKE]church[/STRIKE] dedicated to Saints Faith, Hope, Charity and their mother Sophia (no comma here) the [strike]Martyrs[/strike] Martyr, [STRIKE]being[/STRIKE] which was built by the residents of Svyatogorsk Lavra. [STRIKE]efforts.[/STRIKE]

Please check it for any grammatical mistakes.

If I say "...being built by its efforts.", can one understand that under "its" it is meant "Svyatogorsk Lavra"?

Thank you.

See my corrections above. It's not natural to say that the cathedral was built by someone's efforts. Who actually built it? I have changed it, for now, to "the residents of". If that's not correct, you need to just say exactly who built it.

We refer to a building as either a church or a cathedral but not (generally) a "cathedral church".

I assume that the mother of Saints Faith, Hope and Charity, is "Sophia the Martyr" so that's why I made those changes. If that's wrong, please explain who they are.

Ksenia

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
See my corrections above. It's not natural to say that the cathedral was built by someone's efforts. Who actually built it? I have changed it, for now, to "the residents of". If that's not correct, you need to just say exactly who built it.

We refer to a building as either a church or a cathedral but not (generally) a "cathedral church".

I assume that the mother of Saints Faith, Hope and Charity, is "Sophia the Martyr" so that's why I made those changes. If that's wrong, please explain who they are.

Thank you.

The church is being built by the monks of Svyatogorsk Lavra.
Probably it is better to say who exactly builds it.

Saints Faith, Hope and Charity, and their mother Sophia are Martyrs.
They suffered for the faith in God.
Please see here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Faith,_Hope_and_Charity
Can I say Saint Martyrs
Faith, Hope and Charity, and their mother Sophia, then?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
"... which is being built by the monks of Sbyatogorsk Lavra".

My religious vocabulary isn't particularly wide-ranging but I would probably call them "the martyrs, Saints Faith, Hope, Charity and their mother Sophia". It's possible you can describe someone as a "martyr saint" but I'm not sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.