Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
[FONT=&#48148]I have dreamed of becoming an interior designer since i was a middle school student. [/FONT][FONT=&#48148]1. One day l watched a TV show, which dealt with the life of interior designers.[/FONT][FONT=&#48148]2. One day l watched a TV and went out that life of interior designer.

Does 1 sound natural? 2 is a kind of wrong sentence.[/FONT]

Skrej

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
#1 is acceptable.

#2 isn't.

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
.2. One day l watched a TV and went out that life of interior designer.

I know your English is better than this!
Even if we assume you forgot the word "show" (I watched a TV show) - what do you think "went out that life of interior designer" is supposed to mean? I can't believe you were the author of this attempt at a sentence.

keannu

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
Someone else tried to say 'appeared' with 1and I made a liberal translation with 2.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I have dreamed of becoming an interior designer since I was a middle school student.

1. One day l watched a TV show (no comma required here) which dealt with the life of interior designers.

2. One day l watched a TV and went out that life of interior designer. The whole thing is a mess. You need to either remove "a" to leave "One day I watched TV" or add "show" to leave "One day I watched a TV show". "... went out that life of interior designer" is incomprehensible.

Does 1 sound natural? Is 2 incorrect? [strike]is a kind of wrong sentence.[/strike]

Someone else tried to say 'appeared' with 1 (space required here) and I made a [strike]liberal[/strike] literal translation [strike]with[/strike] of 2.

See my corrections above. I'm not sure what happened to your English in these posts. We all know you're capable of better.

keannu

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
"liberal translation" and "literal translation" are opposite of each other. The former takes the meaning, while the latter, just direct word-to-word matching between two languages. I think "liberal translation" is correct. The original writer tried to mean 1 originally by saying " went out" to mean "appear". So I wonder if 1 and 2 are both natural.

1. One day l watched TV , where
the life of interior designers appeared.
2. One day l watched a TV show, which dealt with the life of interior designers.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Well, sentence 2 was such gobbledegook that I assumed it was a literal translation. Word-for-word translations frequently result in nonsense. The same can be said for Google Translate and similar.

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I'm not sure what happened to your English in these posts. We all know you're capable of better.

I'm pretty sure I know what happened: keannu is having an off day. It's amazing how much my skills in French can vary depending on how I feel, and I very much doubt I'm the only foreign-language-learner to experience this.

keannu

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
Thanks for caring about my condition. Actually, quite improper writings are not mine, but others' for correction.
Does this sound also natural?
the life of interior designers appeared.or (and there appeared the life of interior designers)

curiousmarcus

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Tagalog
Home Country
Philippines
Current Location
Philippines
Not a teacher.

The OP said he has always dreamed of becoming an interior designer. So here's my guess: He meant for the second sentence to be One day I watched a TV show about the life of interior designers and came out wanting to live that life.

Edit: totally missed the OP's last post. Sorry.

I think it should be One day I was watching TV and a show about the life of interior designers was being aired.

Last edited by a moderator:

keannu

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
What about this? "went out" was a mistake of the original writer. He meant to say "showing something" or a"appearance of something".
1. One day l watched TV ,which showed
the life of interior designers appeared.

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Thanks for caring about my condition. Actually, quite improper writings are not mine, but others' for correction.

I think it would be better if the other users got their own accounts. It's very confusing to see a member's identity seem to change so dramatically.

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Does this sound also natural?
the life of interior designers appeared.or (and there appeared the life of interior designers)

"appeared" is not going to work here.

One day I watched a TV show about the life of interior designers.

Status
Not open for further replies.