Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Turkish
Home Country
Turkey
Current Location
Turkey
I would like to ask what we can use instead of the phrase "claim was validated" in this sentence, retaining both phrase's and sentence's meanings :1. "John's claim was validated by the Police"?

My try as 2: "John's claim was verified by the police."

Thank you.

Last edited:

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Verified is good. I also like confirmed.

Don't capitalize ​police.

hhtt21

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Turkish
Home Country
Turkey
Current Location
Turkey

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
What do you mean by "exactly and exactly identical"? You should have used "three cases".

hhtt21

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Turkish
Home Country
Turkey
Current Location
Turkey
What do you mean by "exactly and exactly identical"? You should have used "three cases".

I meant to say just as the same by "exactly and exactly identical". So is it wrong?

Thank you.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Didn't we establish in another thread that "just as the same" is not correct? In this thread, you're now going to learn that "exactly and exactly identical" is wrong.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Try exactly the same.

hhtt21

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Turkish
Home Country
Turkey
Current Location
Turkey
Try exactly the same.

Are these three sentences exactly the same in meaning: 1."John's claim was validated by the police" 2. "John's claim was verified by the police." 3. "John's claim was confirmed by the police."?

Thank you.

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
We are always reluctant to say that three sentences are exactly the same in meaning. Whenever we do, somebody comes along with a context in which one is better than the others.

You'll have to be satisfied that in most cases it's a matter of personal preference and that they're more or less the same in meaning.

hhtt21

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Turkish
Home Country
Turkey
Current Location
Turkey
We are always reluctant to say that three sentences are exactly the same in meaning. Whenever we do, somebody comes along with a context in which one is better than the others.

You'll have to be satisfied that in most cases it's a matter of personal preference and that they're more or less the same in meaning.

But aren't these sentences context itself? Heart of the sentence "to validate a claim" and "the police" implies that this is a criminal situation. I ignore other situation. Please just think this situation.

Thank you.

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Are these three sentences exactly the same in meaning: 1."John's claim was validated by the police" 2. "John's claim was verified by the police." 3. "John's claim was confirmed by the police."

But aren't these sentences context itself? Heart of the sentence "to validate a claim" and "the police" implies that this is a criminal situation. I ignore other situation. Please just think this situation.

Suppose the police department in question has three procedures: claim validation, claim verification, and claim confirmation. In that situation the three words would mean distinctly different things.

Without more context it's impossible to say whether the terms are interchangeable.

hhtt21

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Turkish
Home Country
Turkey
Current Location
Turkey
Then let me derive a scenario. Let's think that there is a murder. The police think that John's is the strongest suspect so the police have arrested him and is interrrogating him to speak in the police station. John told the police that he was in a different distinct of the city when the murder happened. Police went there and checked the street cameras and sees that John is saying the truth. Which of the following sentences would be the same for this situation?

1. john's claim was validated by the police.
2. John's claim was verified by the police.
3. John's claim was confirmed by the police.

Thank you.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Then let me [STRIKE]derive[/STRIKE] ​give you a scenario. Let's [STRIKE]think[/STRIKE] imagine that there [STRIKE]is[/STRIKE] has been a murder. The police think that [STRIKE]John's[/STRIKE] John is the strongest suspect so they [STRIKE]police[/STRIKE] have arrested him and [STRIKE]is[/STRIKE] are interrogating him [STRIKE]to speak[/STRIKE] [STRIKE]in[/STRIKE] at the police station. John told the police that he was in a different distinct of the city when the murder happened. The police went there and checked the street cameras and [STRIKE]sees[/STRIKE] saw that John [STRIKE]is saying[/STRIKE] was telling the truth. Which of the following sentences would be the same for this situation?

1. John's claim was validated by the police.
2. John's claim was verified by the police.
3. John's claim was confirmed by the police.

Thank you.

Note my corrections above. Of your three verbs, I would use "confirmed" but I would start with "John's alibi ...".

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Confirmed or verified work for me. "Validated" doesn't.

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
To verify something is to confirm that something is true. For the purpose of the police, I think "verify" is a better word to use.
To validate something is more than to verify it. A valid claim is one which has the ground(s) and the authority to make the claim.

Last edited:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
In police dramas, when someone comes up with an alibi such as "I was with my girlfriend", the police say "And she'll confirm that, will she?" Once they've checked with her, they usually say "We've confirmed his alibi. He was with his girlfriend". That's why I chose "confirmed". Whether that's what real cops say, I've no idea.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
1. John's claim was validated by the police.

This sounds odd to me. You can validate a document, etc, but I would n't use it in this context.

hhtt21

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Turkish
Home Country
Turkey
Current Location
Turkey
As very closely related to the question, can we use validate or verify instead of confirm for the case in the pic?

confirm.png

Thank you.

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
What happens when you click the button? My guess is that the user is confirming that they've entered what they intended. "Validate" or "verify" would suggest that the site was going to do something with the information.

Buttons should be labeled with a verb that tells the user what will happen when they click them. This is one place where the HTML default Submit might be the best choice.

hhtt21

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Turkish
Home Country
Turkey
Current Location
Turkey
What happens when you click the button? My guess is that the user is confirming that they've entered what they intended. "Validate" or "verify" would suggest that the site was going to do something with the information.

Buttons should be labeled with a verb that tells the user what will happen when they click them. This is one place where the HTML default Submit might be the best choice.

Yes, the user is confirming the password change. So you also think that validate and verify is wrong? As a non-native person, I think verify would be also just as good.

Thank you

Status
Not open for further replies.