How Can A Comma Come After Inverted Commas?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Odessa Dawn

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Saudi Arabia
Current Location
Saudi Arabia

Gillnetter

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Erdogan warned of extending the conflict to the entire region. "We must say no to this tragedy and we should not allow the flames to move to the region", he stressed.

Source:Erdogan condemns Libya US mission attack - Israel News, Ynetnews

Which one comes first "inverted commas/quotes" or "coma?"

Putting a comma after the quotation marks would be acceptable in American English. Other parts of the world may have different rules.

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Non-Americans have different ideas about whether punctuation belongs inside or outside of quotation marks. Americans place punctuation inside the quotes.

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
:up: So the question in the title is meaningless (and probably provocative, to anyone who cared ;-))

b

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Putting a comma after the quotation marks would be acceptable in American English. Other parts of the world may have different rules.

No, that's backwards. The American style requires that the comma ALWAYS come inside the quote, not after. Whether it makes sense or not. :-?

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
And why call quotation marks "inverted" commas? If anything they are "elevated" commas. (Yes, opening quotes are upside down in traditional typesetting. But the closing quotes aren't.)

TheParser

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
*****NOT A TEACHER *****

Dear Fellow Member Odessa:

As the other posters have told you, the punctuation "rules" vary from country to country (and sometimes from professional writer to professional writer!).

I thought that you would like to see this example, taken from an American magazine:

In a recent article titled "What Do Banks Do?," which appeared in ....

That sentence comes from the New Yorker, a very sophisticated magazine for well-educated people.

(No, I am not sophisticated, nor am I well-educated!)

Your fellow member,

James

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
In BrE, we can put punctuation outside quotation marks if it fits the sentence better

TheParser

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
***** NOT A TEACHER *****

I thought that followers of this thread might enjoy this horrible example (in my opinion) of American punctuation, which I am sorry to say is followed by most American publications.

Please know that "Today" is a popular morning television program; NBC refers to the National Broadcasting Company television network.

These two sentences come from the Fall, 2012, issue of the American Journalism Review:

[The name of a newsreader] was a known quantity at NBC, where she'd spent 14 years as "Today's" newsreader
before being promoted to co-host. But almost as soon as she moved up, "Today's" ratings headed down.

"Of course," the "correct" punctuation should be:

... where she'd spent 14 years as "Today" 's newsreader ....

I have noticed only a few publications have the courage to write it that way.

James

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
[The name of a newsreader] was a known quantity at NBC, where she'd spent 14 years as "Today's" newsreader ...

"Of course," the "correct" punctuation should be: ... where she'd spent 14 years as "Today" 's newsreader ....
If that is the correct version in AmE, then it looks horrible. '"Today's" newsreader' may not be pretty, but it's not as bad as ' "Today" 's newsreader ....' even if that is more logical. The simplest solution would be to avoid quotation marks altogether; italic script is a useful alternative: '... as Today's newsreader ...'

Status
Not open for further replies.