Member Type
Other
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Sometimes lost in the partisan clamor about the new health care law is the profound relief it is expected to bring to hundreds of thousands of Americans who have been stricken first by disease and then by a Darwinian insurance system. ---taken from the NYT

Dear teacher,

To understand the above correctly, I am recasting it as below. Could you please tell me whether my understanding is correct and whether the part in blue is an appositive of relief?

The profound relief that it is expected to bring to hundreds of thousands of Americans who have been stricken first by disease and then by a Darwinian insurance system is sometimes lost in the partisan clamor about the new health care law.

Many thanks.

LQZ

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
Sometimes lost in the partisan clamor about the new health care law is the profound relief it is expected to bring to hundreds of thousands of Americans who have been stricken first by disease and then by a Darwinian insurance system. ---taken from the NYT

Dear teacher,

To understand the above correctly, I am recasting it as below. Could you please tell me whether my understanding is correct and whether the part in blue is an appositive of relief?

The profound relief that it is expected to bring to hundreds of thousands of Americans who have been stricken first by disease and then by a Darwinian insurance system is sometimes lost in the partisan clamor about the new health care law.

Many thanks.

LQZ
Yes. It's confusing to write it with "it" (as above in green) because you haven't said what "it" is yet.

The profound relief that the new health care law is expected to bring to hundreds of thousands of Americans who have been stricken first by disease and then by a Darwinian insurance system is sometimes lost in the partisan clamor about it. This is better and grammatical, but the "it" at the end is still confusing. It might be best to change this to "... partisan clamor about the law"

(I've never seen 'Darwinian' used that way before.)

Last edited:

LQZ

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Yes. It's confusing to write it with "it" (as above in green) because you haven't said what "it" is yet.

The profound relief that the new health care law is expected to bring to hundreds of thousands of Americans who have been stricken first by disease and then by a Darwinian insurance system is sometimes lost in the partisan clamor about it. This is better and grammatical, but the "it" at the end is still confusing. It might be best to change this to "... partisan clamor about the law"

(I've never seen 'Darwinian' used that way before.)
Thanks, Raymott. Your response makes it clearer to me. :-D

Status
Not open for further replies.