Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
German
Home Country
Germany
Current Location
Germany
Can "long gone by" be used instead of "long gone"? I don't see dictionary entries for the former but it's used according to linguee.

Skrej

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
In some contexts, yes. I don't think you can say it would work across the board.

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
I say no, so don't do it. Stay with 'long gone'.

When you ask Can ... be used?, I presume you're asking if we think you should use whatever it is.

ghoul

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
German
Home Country
Germany
Current Location
Germany
I say no, so don't do it. Stay with 'long gone'.

When you ask Can ... be used?, I presume you're asking if we think you should use whatever it is.
What are you trying to imply here? ^^°
In some contexts, yes. I don't think you can say it would work across the board.
Can you name an example? I also have one for you: "While my drug using days are long gone by I wonder if having taken them caused me to not be able to turn back because I’ll never forget how these things had made me feel."

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
@ghoul You should in my humble opinion use neither "long gone by" nor "turn back" in that sentence.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I had to Google this "linguee" that you've referred to in a couple of threads. It should be capitalised because it's the official name (title) of the website and is, therefore, a proper noun.

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
What are you trying to imply here? ^^°

I'm not trying to imply anything. In fact, I thought I said it clearly: Don't do it, at least not until your English is better.

The reason I'm saying this is that it seems to me you may be confusing 'long gone' with 'gone by'. Get those two phrases clearly separated in your mind first before you try to fuse them together.

"While my drug using days are long gone by ... "

This is actually a decent example, where I think you can get away with it, since the phrase gone by collocates strongly with days. In future, please provide a complete sentence in post #1.

ghoul

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
German
Home Country
Germany
Current Location
Germany
This is actually a decent example, where I think you can get away with it, since the phrase gone by collocates strongly with days. In future, please provide a complete sentence in post #1.
I noticed that this has lead to some misunderstandings but a lot of the sentences I could derive from my actual chats with people are about very controversial topics, even more so than the drug one so I need to come up with entire fictional dialogue before making these posts which I struggle with a bit.
The reason I'm saying this is that it seems to me you may be confusing 'long gone' with 'gone by'. Get those two phrases clearly separated in your mind first before you try to fuse them together.
I think your observation is right and I will write them down as separate vocabulary(?) now.

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Just try to provide at least a full sentence of context in future, please. And keep it as close to the real-life language that was used as you possibly can.