Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Greek
Home Country
Greece
Current Location
Germany
What's the difference when it comes to studying?

Ann1977

Member Type
Academic
What's the difference when it comes to studying?

In American English they are different.

My international students almost always say "revise" when an American student would say "review."

The both come from the same roots which mean: "Look again,' and I bet that is how this overlap in meaning came about.

In American English, "review" means to go over the material again, to practice it once more, to repeat what has been learned, to refresh your memory of the material.

But "to revise" is to edit a written paper in order to correct and change it.

Before a test, American students review the material.

But they get back the first draft of their term papers with the Professor's advice to revise their work -- to change it so as to edit out its errors.

konungursvia

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
I agree, and we should perhaps specify that British speakers call it "revising for" a test.

Note that review has other meanings in AmE as well: to study for a test seems more intensive than to review, which sounds like "go through once more" to me. Also, to review can mean to read and then write an opinion about what was read.

Ann1977

Member Type
Academic
I agree, and we should perhaps specify that British speakers call it "revising for" a test.

Note that review has other meanings in AmE as well: to study for a test seems more intensive than to review, which sounds like "go through once more" to me. Also, to review can mean to read and then write an opinion about what was read.

That's right. American students say to the teacher, just before the test, "Will you review the process of meiosis just once more?"

International students ask the teacher to "revise" the material.

Americans have the word "revise," but to them it means to make revisions in written material, to amend text.

In the US, a "review" is also a critique of some artistic production:
"The school newspaper gave this year's Senior Class Play a rave review."

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
In American English they are different.

My international students almost always say "revise" when an American student would say "review."

The both come from the same roots which mean: "Look again,' and I bet that is how this overlap in meaning came about.

In American English, "review" means to go over the material again, to practice it once more, to repeat what has been learned, to refresh your memory of the material.

But "to revise" is to edit a written paper in order to correct and change it.

Before a test, American students review the material.

But they get back the first draft of their term papers with the Professor's advice to revise their work -- to change it so as to edit out its errors.

This was a big surprise for me in 1984, when I started writing at what was then the Digital Equipment Organization. I had to release a draft of what I was writing 'for review'. In my experience, a review of written work was like a published book review - along the lines of 'Absolute rubbish, a school-leaver with a word processor could have done better. Are we paying Mr Knowles?' :) By the time I left the company, I was speaking the language like a native!

b

dervast

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Greek
Home Country
Greece
Current Location
Germany
Thanks a lot guys. I really appreciate all these answers that make my understanding deeper.

P.S Could you please correct the above sentences in case it contains syntax and grammatically errors?

Ann1977

Member Type
Academic
This was a big surprise for me in 1984, when I started writing at what was then the Digital Equipment Organization. I had to release a draft of what I was writing 'for review'. In my experience, a review of written work was like a published book review - along the lines of 'Absolute rubbish, a school-leaver with a word processor could have done better. Are we paying Mr Knowles?' :) By the time I left the company, I was speaking the language like a native!

b

LOL!

1984 -- the perfect year for Newspeak! :lol:

Last edited:

Daruma

Member Type
Student or Learner
"review" and "revise"

http://www.learnersdictionary.com/search/revise
revise
Brit : to study (something) again [+ obj]
▪ She revised [=(US) reviewed] chemistry. [no obj]
▪ I need to revise [=(US) review] for the exam.

http://tinyurl.com/krkx2q
review
US : to study or look at (something) again [+ obj]
▪ She reviewed her notes for the speech.
▪ Please review [=go over, check] your answers before handing in your test.
▪ I need to review [=(Brit) revise] chemistry. [no obj]
▪ Students were given time to review [=(Brit) revise] for the test.

Status
Not open for further replies.