Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
Native Speakers Often Mix Up “If I were you” and “If I had been you”

Conditional grammar is complex, and difficult even for native speakers. Many people, even educated people, use “if I were you” and “if I had been you” interchangeably.

“If I had been you, I would have …” is grammatically correct in Santosh’s example above However, I can tell you that it does not sound very natural. We have discovered an instance of when correct grammar is not actually used much in real life.

If I were you, I would invest my money wisely. –> Correct 2nd conditional.

If I had been you, I would have bought a house in 2012. –> Correct 3rd conditional

It would be more likely to hear “If I were you, I would have bought a house in 2012.”

This is not necessarily correct, but it is more likely to be used by native speakers.

Sorry if this is confusing, but it is important to know how English is really used in the world, and not only in your grammar books.

https://www.gonaturalenglish.com/second-and-third-conditional/
---------
1. Do you agree with the blue parts? (PS - Should I use "the blue part" or
"the blue parts"?)

2. If so, please look at my sentences below:

a. Many people might have been saved if there was a ship.
b.
Many people might have been saved if there had been a ship.

I assume that (a) sounds more natural to native speakers, while (b) is grammatically correct. Am I right?

Last edited:

1. Do you agree with the blue parts? (PS - Should I use "the blue part" or
"the blue parts"?)
It's "parts" since there's more than one.

I agree that "If I were/was you" (not "if I had been you") is what native speakers of English would normally use.
However, you may well hear: "If I had been in your position/shoes".

a. Many people might have been saved if there was a ship.
b.
Many people might have been saved if there had been a ship.
I assume that (a) sounds more natural to native speakers, while (b) is grammatically correct. Am I right?
You'll come across all sorts of mixed conditionals. To my ear, "b" sounds better, but I might append something like "nearby at the time" at the end of that sentence.

I think it's missing an entire point. "If I were you" doesn't use the simple past instead of the past perfect.* It uses the subjunctive. When we say "If I were you" in relation to something that happened in the past, we aren't trying to say "If I had been you at that point in time". We are trying to say "If I wasn't me and I was, in fact, you, XXX is what I would have done". We are imagining ourselves permanently in the other person's body, not just at the time of the event in question.

*It should be clear that it's not the simple past, because the simple past is "I was" not "I were".

Last edited:
Only B looks completely natural to me. I wouldn't be shocked to see a native speaker write A, but I'm pretty sure most would write B.

You had multiple sections in blue, so you were right to write the plural parts.

I think the writer is talking about the phrases if I were you and if I'd been you only.

Of your sentences, kadioguy, only b is correct and natural.

Thank you all. :)

If you don't mind, I would like to ask a follow-up question: do you agree with the writer on the two parts?
--------------

Correct way — “If I had been rich, I would have helped you.”

This means that in the past I was not rich. In the past I wanted to help you. Since I was not rich, I didn’t help you.

If I am still not rich — “If I WERE rich I would have helped you.”

Correct way — “I would have treated you if I had been a doctor.”

If I am still not a doctor — “I would have treated you If I WERE a doctor.

--------------

“IF I WERE YOU” VS. “IF I WAS YOU”

Furthermore, native speakers often use an incorrect version of “if I were you.” It is more likely than not to hear native English speakers using the grammatically incorrect “if I was you” instead of the correct “if I were you.”

“If I were you, I would have done that” is considered a correct sentence. Additionally, many native speakers (incorrectly) say “If I was you, I would have done that." It is really very common, although incorrect.

If I were a man, I would be named Gabriel, not Gabrielle

–> Incorrect but common usage: If I was a man, I would be named Gabriel, not Gabrielle.

If it were hotter today, it would be a great day for the beach.

–> Incorrect but common usage: If it was hotter today, it would be a great day for the beach.

Last edited:
"Incorrect but common usage" is rather a contradiction in terms. Usage rules. If something is indeed common usage it will eventually win the day.

Thank you all. :)

If you don't mind, I would like to ask a follow-up question: do you agree with the writer on the two parts?
--------------

Correct way — “If I had been rich, I would have helped you.”

This means that in the past I was not rich. In the past I wanted to help you. Since I was not rich, I didn’t help you.

If I am still not rich — “If I WERE rich I would have helped you.”

Correct way — “I would have treated you if I had been a doctor.”

If I am still not a doctor — “I would have treated you If I WERE a doctor.

--------------

“IF I WERE YOU” VS. “IF I WAS YOU”

Furthermore, native speakers often use an incorrect version of “if I were you.” It is more likely than not to hear native English speakers using the grammatically incorrect “if I was you” instead of the correct “if I were you.”

“If I were you, I would have done that” is considered a correct sentence. Additionally, many native speakers (incorrectly) say “If I was you, I would have done that." It is really very common, although incorrect.

If I were a man, I would be named Gabriel, not Gabrielle

–> Incorrect but common usage: If I was a man, I would be named Gabriel, not Gabrielle.

If it were hotter today, it would be a great day for the beach.

–> Incorrect but common usage: If it was hotter today, it would be a great day for the beach.

The first part makes sense to me, but, with the second, if it is more likely than not to hear native speakers use a form, it doesn't work to say it is wrong IMO. I was taught that if I were was the correct form and use it, but I struggle to agree with the prescriptionist idea that was is wrong. Many exams no longer test it as an example of what is right. I don't use it, and advise students to use were, but will not say was is wrong. It is one of those areas where many teachers fall back on the position that one form is preferred in formal usage.

I don't see saying "If I had been rich" even though that is allegedly the correct way.

It is one of those areas where many teachers fall back on the position that one form is preferred in formal usage.
I am wondering about "one form". What does it mean?

Do you mean this? "... one form is preferred than others in formal usage."

It means that some teachers teach that there is only one correct form in formal usage.

Do you mean this? "... one form is preferred over others in formal usage."

Not only preferred over the others, but they teach people to use that one rather than anything else.

Kadioguy, I don't think there is a missing word there. (You could argue that "myself" should be there. However, the response to that is it's implied.)

Do you mean this? "... one form is preferred than others in formal usage."

I would use over rather than than in your sentence, which would make it correct. I mean that some teachers say that If I were is preferred over If I was, so they don't claim that rules support this pattern, but usage favours one form. It is a non-judgmental way of following certain patterns.

I mean that some teachers say that If I were is preferred over If I was, so they don't claim that rules support this pattern, but usage favours one form. It is a non-judgmental way of following certain patterns.

Thank you, Tdol. :)

But why not say "the form" instead of "one form"? The former is easier to understand to me.

Because Tdol wasn't talking only about the contents of this thread. He was talking in general. Teachers sometimes teach that one form is better than another. Tdol's use of "It is one of those areas ..." shows that there are several areas in which it happens.

Thank you, Tdol. :)

But why not say "the form" instead of "one form"? The former is easier to understand for me.

Or:

easier for me to understand

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back