Several problems when writing an essay

Status
Not open for further replies.

gmt_snail

Member Type
Student or Learner
Is it right to say "tend to" in the introduction part when we write a IELTSdiscussion essay?
e.g.I tend to support the view that sportsmen and sportswomen deserve to be paid more.

And some more questions about plain English.
Is it more plain to do the following changes?
1, "those who disagree" rather than "objectors of this issue"?
[FONT=宋体]2,
"It is fair to reward physical and mental workers with different levels of income merely because their work is of various kinds" (changed to "because of different types of work"?)
[FONT=宋体]3,[/FONT]"In the other fields, by contrast, there is no severe span of (changed to ''such limit to"?) career life.”

[/FONT]

Last edited:

billmcd

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
All of your examples are out of context but with that understanding these are my preferences:

A. "tend to" is OK.
A1."those who disagree"
A2. "because of different types of work"
A3. "no such limit to"

trunghq

Member Type
Student or Learner
1. Is it correct when I put 'the' in this phrase: 'different types' so it turns into: 'Because of the different types'. I mean that I know these different types. But my friend doesn't agree with me about 'the' I put above. 'The' is okay?

2. 'Severe span of - Such limit to' - I don't understand this phrase, can anyone explain their meanings to me? Give me another example, please.

[FONT=宋体]
Thanks.
[/FONT]

billmcd

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
1. "The different types" is OK and, as you say, you are referring to types that you know about or are familiar with-- a slightly different meaning from only "different types".

2. Without seeing the entire dialogue and as it is taken out of context, it is difficult to understand the use of "such limit to". But let me give it a try: Certain careers have a productive and useful life span such as those that require physical exertion (construction, farming, football, firefighting). "In other fields, by contrast, such as journalism, art, teaching there is no such limit to career life."

I hope this helps.

gmt_snail

Member Type
Student or Learner
A1."those who disagree"
A2. "because of different types of work"
A3. "no such limit to"

well, if we don't use more complex words in exams, how could examiners know whether the candidates have a wide range of vocabulary?:?:

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
It is better to use simple words correctly than complex words incorrectly.

Your idea of "objectors of this issue," for example, is simply not good English, while "Those who disagree" is clear English.

If you think "object" is a fancier word than "disagree" then you can say "those who object to..."

Status
Not open for further replies.