from the 1980s vs from the 1980 on

Status
Not open for further replies.

palinkasocsi

Member Type
Student or Learner
Dear Friends,

I want to say that I have studied the most important theories which appeared from 1980-2010. If I say:

I have studied the most important theories from the 1980s. - does it mean that I have studied theories only from 1980-1989 or theories after 1989 are also included?

Is there any difference if I put 'on' at the end:

I have studied the most important theories from the 1980s on.?

Thank you.

Palinkasocsi

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
Dear Friends,

I want to say that I have studied the most important theories which appeared from 1980-2010. If I say:

I have studied the most important theories from the 1980s. - does it mean that I have studied theories only from 1980-1989 or theories after 1989 are also included?

Is there any difference if I put 'on' at the end:

I have studied the most important theories from the 1980s on.

Thank you.

Palinkasocsi
I have studied the most important theories from the 1980s on/onwards ?
This is correct.

Searching for language

Member Type
Other
Native Language
German
Home Country
Germany
Current Location
Canada
I have studied the most important theories from the 1980s on/onwards ?
This is correct.

I feel that your answer is a bit ambiguous. By saying from the 1980s on/onwards, you are suggesting that it could possibly be from 1985 onwards or any one of the years in the decade. If you say from 1980 onwards, there is no possibility of the year being misunderstood.

However, I am not a teacher and just might be wrong. ;-)

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
I feel that your answer is a bit ambiguous. By saying from the 1980s on/onwards, you are suggesting that it could possibly be from 1985 onwards or any one of the years in the decade. If you say from 1980 onwards, there is no possibility of the year being misunderstood.

However, I am not a teacher and just might be wrong. ;-)
It depends what the OP wants to say, if he wants to say that he studied from the year 1980, then he should say "from 1980 on/onwards".

palinkasocsi

Member Type
Student or Learner
And what if I am studying theories from 1982, 86, 92, 98, 2006, 2007 ... and it is not that important that the first of these came out in 82 or whatever. I just want to say that I am studying theories which appeared in the 1980s and the 1990s and after.

Palinkasocsi

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
And what if I am studying theories from 1982, 86, 92, 98, 2006, 2007 ... and it is not that important that the first of these came out in 82 or whatever. I just want to say that I am studying theories which appeared in the 1980s and the 1990s and after.

Palinkasocsi
Then it's as I said in my first response, "from the 1980s on/onwards".

Status
Not open for further replies.