[General] come up with/take aim/a.k.a./coincide/roll out/suspension/run/hold down/

Status
Not open for further replies.

vil

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Bulgarian
Home Country
Bulgaria
Current Location
Bulgaria
Dear teachers,

Would you be kind enough to tell me whether I am right with my interpretation of the expressions in bold in the following sentences?

The Movement for Rights and Freedoms did not come up with a statement to comment the publication.

come up with = produce, supply; also, discover

Tax inspectors have taken aim at popular singer Vladimir Ampov a.k.a. The Count and he handed over his father.

take aim = direct at

a.k.a. = as known or named at another time or place; alias

The current attack coincided with a large-scale operation of NATO forces in Helmand province against the bases of the Taliban.

The meeting will coincide with the celebration of the company's founding.

coinside = happen simultaneously

At the May 9 parade to mark the 65 th anniversary of victory in World War II, Russia's army has rolled out the first time at Red Square launchers with mock-ups of the newest nuclear missile, the Topol-M, "said the representative of the Strategic Missile Forces, Colonel Vadim Koval.

roll out = introduce, disclose

As shown by studies of Danish doctors, suspension of blood flow in the hand may help with heart attacks.

suspension = temporary cessation

Scientists believe that this procedure runs in the heart of the natural mechanisms that compensate for the oxygen deficiency of the heart muscle.

run = actuate

Studies based on data from 150 patients showed that those who have gone through this procedure in an ambulance on the way to the hospital, recovering from the effects of easier infarction.

on the way = on the route of a journey

In this study, specially trained nurses to apply the regular harnesses, used in measuring blood pressure, in order to hold down the artery and stop blood circulation in the arm for up to five minutes.

We can't hold down the prices much longer.

He is holding down to three cigarettes a day.

hold down = to limit; restrain

Kings used to know very well how to hold down the people.

I held the ruffian down while they bound him.

Hold that dog down! He's dangerous.

The invaders couldn't hold the country down for long.

hold down = to keep in obedience; keep control of; continue authority or rule over

John had held down a tough job for a long time.

hold down = to work satisfactorily at

Thank you for your efforts.

Regards,

V

euncu

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Turkish
Home Country
Turkey
Current Location
Turkey
Scientists believe that this procedure runs in the heart of the natural mechanisms that compensate for the oxygen deficiency of the heart muscle.

run = actuate

Maybe, "to govern" instead of "to run".

Reactions: vil

mmasny

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
I'm not sure how it is generally, but in computer science people often speak about "running procedures" and also "run procedures".

sarat_106

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Oriya
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
Dear teachers,

Would you be kind enough to tell me whether I am right with my interpretation of the expressions in bold in the following sentences?

In this study, specially trained nurses to apply the regular harnesses, used in measuring blood pressure, in order to hold down the artery and stop blood circulation in the arm for up to five minutes.

We can't hold down the prices much longer.

He is holding down to three cigarettes a day.

hold down = to limit; restrain

Kings used to know very well how to hold down the people.(= to keep people under control or limit their freedom)

I held the ruffian down while they bound him.

Hold that dog down! He's dangerous.

The invaders couldn't hold the country down for long.

hold down = to keep in obedience; keep control of and stop them from moving away or escaping:; continue authority or rule over

John had held down a tough job for a long time.

hold down = to work satisfactorily at

Thank you for your efforts.

Regards,

V

‘Hold down’ as phrasal verb has four meanings. This has been explained here with appropriate examples.

vil

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Bulgarian
Home Country
Bulgaria
Current Location
Bulgaria
Hi mmasny,

Thank you for your backing concerning the usage of the verb "run" in my example sentence.

run = set/put in motion; set something going; actuate; move; to initiate an action; perform

Thank you again for your kindness.

Regards,

V.

Status
Not open for further replies.