Student or Learner
Native Language
French
Home Country
France
Current Location
France
Hello,
I'm a french student currently reading an "essay" (Far Journeys) written by Robert A. Monroe in which I've encountered a difficulty : I do not understand the verb "beeloon" and I haven't found this entry in any dictionary I've consulted so far. Hence the title. Can somebody help me with that ?

In the mysterious (at least, to me) passage, there's a child on his tricycle who seems to fall down on the grass.
Here's the extract in which I've encountered the term :
"(...) got to get up, my bike will get wet and it will rust, got to get it on the porch...but I can't move, I can't move!...what?...what?...just beeloon it and I can go the porch, how could I forget that! How could I forget to beeloon!"

Thanking you in anticipation.

euncu

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Turkish
Home Country
Turkey
Current Location
Turkey
***neither a teacher nor a native-speaker***

I only can guess;

Maybe, it is a way that a child (or this particular child) (mis)pronounces the word "balloon". He/she thinks to attach some balloons to make the tricycle fly.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
It's also nowhere to be found on the Monroe Institute site. :-(

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
Hello,
I'm a french student currently reading an "essay" (Far Journeys) written by Robert A. Monroe in which I've encountered a difficulty : I do not understand the verb "beeloon" and I haven't found this entry in any dictionary I've consulted so far. Hence the title. Can somebody help me with that ?

In the mysterious (at least, to me) passage, there's a child on his tricycle who seems to fall down on the grass.
"(...) got to get up, my bike will get wet and it will rust, got to get it on the porch...but I can't move, I can't move!...what?...what?...just beeloon it and I can go the porch, how could I forget that! How could I forget to beeloon!"

It's not in OED.
It sounds like a word made up by the characters in the story (but I suppose you've ruled that out by having read the whole essay).

TheParser

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Hello,

***NOT A TEACHER***

(1) I read the passage on the Web.

(a) Apparently, he's remembering a childhood experience.

(b) Yes, as one gentleman suggested, it could be misspelling of "balloon."

(c) In the passage, he says that "any curl can do it." (girl?)

(d) He mentions a three-way maneuver.

(2) If any member or guest rode tricycles when younger, perhaps s/he could enlighten us about this matter. In other words, how could you get the tricycle on the porch by "beelooning/ ballooning" it?

Kiesworden

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
French
Home Country
France
Current Location
France
I should add some more details to help comprehension. The book may seem at least particuliar in its topic for it deals with out-of-body experiences and the Hemi-Sync Program, which is used to explore the human consciousness. When Monroe refers to a curl, he means (I quote) "organized energy, usually intelligent, local slang".
I think euncu had a clever impression, but to me it doesn't really fit with the rest of Monroe's memory. After thinking I have concluded that it might either be a made-up word, or, and I'm more convinced on this option, it might be some local (in Virginia, or specifically in relation with the Monroe Institute) slang.
However, as an answer to Raymott's post, no other special or even odd word remains without any explanation in the rest of the book, whence my skepticism.
As TheParser put it, the fact that Monroe as a kid evokes a three-way maneuver may be useful to understand what the expression means.
And as Tdol wrote : "It's also nowhere to be found on the Monroe Institute site. :-(", and nowhere else on the net. But I'm not desperate. I e-mailed a native-speaker fellow who read the book, and expect his answer soon appears. If no solution, well, we may hope some native-speaker members did actually ride a tricycle in their childhood ! ^__^

Thank you all for your participation in the elucidation of this mystery. I write to you when I get the response.;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.