[General] The meaning of a sentence. Thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

richuk

Member Type
Student or Learner
Hey everyone, just a quick question regarding the meaning of a sentence, if anyone would be kind enough to offer any opinions as I am a little confused.
‘What do you think of the toy show?
I was surprised it wasn’t as much fun as the car show but we learnt so much more!’

The ‘learnt so much more’ does this apply to the ‘toy show’ or the ‘car show’?

Initially I thought it was the ‘toy show’ because the first part of the sentence before the ‘but’ is a negative opinion regarding the toy show (positive opinion regarding the car show) and after the ‘but’ one would expect the positive opinion ‘we learnt so much more’ to relate to the ‘toy show’ to contrast with the previous negative opinion.

I was wondering if anyone thinks the ‘we learnt so much more’ applies to the ‘car show’ instead? The contrast either side of the ‘but’ could be from the change in surprise for example:
I was surprised it wasn’t as much fun as the car show but we learnt so much more [in the car show so no surprise]!’
I guess the additional wording ‘so no surprise’ may need to be added to the original sentence to produce this meaning. What do you think?

Thank you everyone for your time and help. This is a really great forum, thank you. :cool:

Key Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
Hey everyone, just a quick question regarding the meaning of a sentence, if anyone would be kind enough to offer any opinions as I am a little confused.
I was surprised it wasn’t as much fun as the car show but we learnt so much more!’
The ‘learnt so much more’ does this apply to the ‘toy show’ or the ‘car show’? toy show

:cool:

mmasny

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland

I guess the additional wording ‘so no surprise’ may need to be added to the original sentence to produce this meaning. What do you think?
I think you're right. Even without it, the sentence might be amibiguous in my opinion. The problem is where the 'but' belongs.

I am not a teacher.

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
It applies to the toy show, there is no ambiguity, it is certain.

mmasny

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
It applies to the toy show, there is no ambiguity, it is certain.
I don't agree.
It was surprising that the toy show wasn't as fun as the car show, but we learned so much from the car show.
Doesn't this sentence make sense? To me, it does.

euncu

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Turkish
Home Country
Turkey
Current Location
Turkey
I don't think that there is an ambiguity. The problem is that analysing something too much leads to confusion.

MASM

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Spain
Current Location
Spain
I don't think that there is an ambiguity. The problem is that analysing something too much leads to confusion.

That's right :)

mmasny

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
It can be right, that's for sure. Then the confusion needs to be worked out and no one seems to try :)

MASM

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Spain
Current Location
Spain
It can be right, that's for sure. Then the confusion needs to be worked out and no one seems to try :)

You are trying! :-D. For me, there's no ambiguity in "I was surprised it wasn’t as much fun as the car show but we learnt so much more!" because maybe you're supposed to have much more fun in a toy shop than in a car show, that's what is surprising for the speaker, as he/she learnt much more in the toy shop.

Status
Not open for further replies.