Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Turkish
Home Country
Turkey
Current Location
Turkey
"My word," said Jane, "did the fur fly! They seem to think he's not good enough for our heiress. 'Have you taken leave of your senses?' asks Lady B. 'Madam,' says he, 'I will decide on my daughter's future.' 'She happens to be my daughter too.' 'And it is fortunate for her that she has not turned out like you or I'd be sorry for this young man she's going to marry.' 'So you're sorry for yourself,' says she. 'No, madam, I know how to look after myself,' he says. 'You knew how to scatter your bastards all over the countryside.' 'A man must amuse himself somehow,' he said. Oh he's the master all right. If she'd got hold of a meek man, she'd have ruled him. But not our Squire. Then she said, 'You told me that she was to marry Tybalt Travers.' 'Well, I have changed my mind.' 'That's a sudden turnabout.' 'She's in love with this fellow.' 'Love,' she snorted. 'Something you don't believe in, madam, I know, but I say she shall marry this fellow she's chosen.' 'You've changed your mind. How long is it since you said: "I want my daughter to marry the son of my old friend Edward Travers?'" 'I've changed my mind, that's all that's to be said . . .' And on and on they went throwing insults at each other. My word, we do see life."

he address to his wife madam. (and they're arguing) so he use madam as lady/ladyship or wife/dear wife?

Anglika

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Other
Commonly used in the 18th century to address a woman of position, respectability or quality, not necessarily someone to whom you were related.

Tinkerbell

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Turkish
Home Country
Turkey
Current Location
Turkey
but he says it formal or informal?

Tinkerbell

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Turkish
Home Country
Turkey
Current Location
Turkey
a victoria holt book

Anglika

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Other
Sh is a modrn romantic novelist who setes her books in the past. I would not take her usages as good examples of formal or informal use, but copycats of older syntax.

Tinkerbell

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Turkish
Home Country
Turkey
Current Location
Turkey
Thank you Anglika :-D

Status
Not open for further replies.