Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Vietnamese
Home Country
Vietnam
Current Location
Vietnam
Hi, I know 'forever' is an adverb but I saw the 'for ever' somewhere, I think it means 'forever' but don't know it is whether correct or not ? If it is correct, I wonder what part of sentence is the word 'ever' which stands after 'for' ?
Thank you so much !

Hi, I know 'forever' is an adverb but I saw the 'for ever' somewhere, I think it means 'forever' but don't know it is whether correct or not ? If it is correct, I wonder what part of sentence is the word 'ever' which stands after 'for' ?
Thank you so much !

Forever is one word but some use it as for ever which is also acceptable but the preferred use is one word.

Thank you so much !
"for ever" is an adverbial prepositional phrase.
It occurs at the end of The Lord's Prayer: "For ever and ever, Amen."
It also occurs in some other phrases: "for ever and a day".
Note that "forever and a day" would be wrong, because "a day" would thereby be missing a preposition.

raymott, please explain adverbial prepositional phrase. what is lord prayer?
An adverbial prepositional phrase is a prepositional phrase functioning as an adverb.
The Lord's Prayer (note capitalisation) is a Christian prayer which includes the given phrase.

that is a sentence fragment where is the verb that your adverbial prepositional phrase needs to modify? i think forever and for ever is uk / american difference.

I'm inclined to agree that it's regional variation.

I'd say "forever."

that is a sentence fragment where is the verb that your adverbial prepositional phrase needs to modify?
Are you saying I can't call something an adverb without there being a verb present?
"Forever" and "for ever" are adverbs unless they are used in a grammatically uncharacteristic way.

Thank you so much !

********** NOT A TEACHER **********

Hello, CrazYgeek.

(1) Thank you for your great question. I googled and found a book

published in the year 1916 entitled A New English Grammar by Mr. Edward

Sonnenschein and Ms. Edith Archibald.

(a) They explained that ever is being used as a NOUN.

(i) As you know, any word that follows a preposition such as for must be

analyzed as a NOUN (or pronoun).

(2) As the other posters told you, the word forever may sometimes

be spelled as two words:

I shall love you for ever (ever is a noun that means something like "a

period of time that will never end." It means something like: I will love

you for always. (I guess we can call always a noun, too, in that sentence.)

(a) Here in the United States, we spell for ever as one word, but I personally think it should be two words (preposition + noun).

(3) Sometimes it is better to use one word:

He is forever telling us about all the famous people (whom) he knows.

(a) In that sentence, it means something like: He never stops telling us.

Thank you for making me learn more about this word.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back