Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Greek
Home Country
Greece
Current Location
Germany
Today I was on a plane that was shaking during the whole trip. During the trip I was feeling dizzy/dazzled/woozy. After the flight I wanted to vomit/ throw up.

Could you please help me find the correct words?

I would like to thank you in advance for your help

Best Regards
Alex

Dizzy is when you feel things spinning around you or things don't feel like things are staying in place. When you're dizzy, you want things to stop moving.

When you turn in circles really fast and then stop, you're dizzy. When you feel "light headed" you sometimes feel dizzy - things seem to shift places in your head.

Dazzled is not a physical sensation. When you see something really bright and awe-inspiring, you are dazzled.

Woozy is when you are sleepy or your head feels really full. If you've taken to much cold medicine, if you've hit your head on something, or maybe if you're done too much exercise (way too much), you might feel woozy. When you're woozy, you want to sit down and maybe put your head down.

I wonder if you felt either dizzy or woozy... or maybe something else?

I'd say "throw up" or "be sick" because I don't tend to use the word "vomit" but they are all interchangeable.

Dizzy is when you feel things spinning around you or things don't feel like things are staying in place. When you're dizzy, you want things to stop moving.

When you turn in circles really fast and then stop, you're dizzy. When you feel "light headed" you sometimes feel dizzy - things seem to shift places in your head.

Dazzled is not a physical sensation. When you see something really bright and awe-inspiring, you are dazzled.

Woozy is when you are sleepy or your head feels really full. If you've taken to much cold medicine, if you've hit your head on something, or maybe if you're done too much exercise (way too much), you might feel woozy. When you're woozy, you want to sit down and maybe put your head down.

I wonder if you felt either dizzy or woozy... or maybe something else?

I'd say "throw up" or "be sick" because I don't tend to use the word "vomit" but they are all interchangeable.

I think I felt something like dizzy.

Is not throw up a little bit informal?

Will you ever use that when you were talking to a professor or something that you have to be more formal than your friends?

Best Regards
Alex

I think I felt something like dizzy.

Is not throw up a little bit informal?

Will you ever use that when you were talking to a professor or something that you have to be more formal than your friends?

Best Regards
Alex
I agree with Barb D about vomit. Throw up and be sick are not informal and convey the same meaning as vomit, but in a much less graphic way.

I agree with Barb D about vomit. Throw up and be sick are not informal and convey the same meaning as vomit, but in a much less graphic way.
One more question on that.
I usually I say I am sick when I am sick (meaning that I have fever and other symptoms). How a native speaker can differentiate between these two different meaning of I am sick phrase?

Best Regards,
Alex

One more question on that.
I usually I say I am sick when I am sick (meaning that I have fever and other symptoms). How a native speaker can differentiate between these two different meaning of I am sick phrase?

Best Regards,
Alex
You can usually tell the difference from the context, i.e. has the person been overeating or riding a roller coaster? If a person feels that he is going to vomit, he may say "I feel sick" or "I´m going to be sick." In the case of an illness, your phrase is correct.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back