Student or Learner
Native Language
French
Home Country
France
Current Location
UK
Hello,

Is the use of the present simple correct in this case?

"Since I work here, I've always been kind to everyone."

Thank you
W

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
Hello,

Is the use of the present simple correct in this case?

Thank you
W

====Not a teacher===

I am afraid that is incorrect.

"Since I work here" means "because I work here..." in that context.

Suggested: Ever since I started to work here...

Pedroski

Member Type
Other
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
China

I would say, while your sentence is not strictly wrong or ungrammatical, it is illogical: It does not follow that because you work somewhere you must be kind to everyone. I think you want to use 'since' as an adverb of time: a unspecified time in the past. In that case you can't use 'I work' because it is present tense.

How about: Since (adverb of time = from the time) I've been working here, I've always been kind to everyone.

or 'Since (adverb of reason = because) I work here, I try to be kind to everyone.'

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
India
Current Location
India

I would say, while your sentence is not strictly wrong or ungrammatical, it is illogical: It does not follow that because you work somewhere you must be kind to everyone. I think you want to use 'since' as an adverb of time: a unspecified time in the past. In that case you can't use 'I work' because it is present tense.

How about: Since (adverb of time = from the time) I've been working here, I've always been kind to everyone.

or 'Since (adverb of reason = because) I work here, I try to be kind to everyone.'

I am not convinced with the first sentence. Does it change the meaning of the sentence by replacing the tense from Simple present to Present Perfect Continous.

The second sentence of yours changes the original meaning that Will17 wants to convey.

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
This is one of the times that the two possible meanings of "since" create genuine ambiguity.

I also don't know if he means "Because I work here..." or whether he meant to say "Since [the time] I've worked here..."

I'd say both of you have answered one possibility.

Pedroski

Member Type
Other
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
China
As far as I see it, you have two choices: 'since' an adverb of time, or 'since' adverb of reason.

Choose adverb of time, then you must change 'I work' to 'I have been working here', as you started in the past, at the time indicated by 'since', and continue to do so.

Choose adverb of reason, then 'I work here' is the reason, and 'I have always been kind to everyone' is the corollary. I changed that to 'I try to be kind to everyone' because, one presumes, this show of kindness will be an ongoing thing. But maybe the implication is, that you've had enough of being Mr Nice Guy, and that the kindness days are over! In that case stick with 'I have always been kind to everyone' Depends on what you say next!

e2e4

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Serbo-Croatian
Home Country
Bosnia Herzegovina
Current Location
Bosnia Herzegovina
A learner

Since I work here, I've always been kind to everyone.

He might have thought

Owing to the fact that I work here I am always kind to everyone that comes here.

Will17

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
French
Home Country
France
Current Location
UK
This is one of the times that the two possible meanings of "since" create genuine ambiguity.

I also don't know if he means "Because I work here..." or whether he meant to say "Since [the time] I've worked here..."

I'd say both of you have answered one possibility.

I meant "since the time"... So if I understand well, it should be : "Since I've worked here, I've always been kind to everyone."
(Could we also use the PPC: "since I've been working here?")

Thank you.

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
I meant "since the time"... So if I understand well, it should be : "Since I've worked here, I've always been kind to everyone."
(Could we also use the PPC: "since I've been working here?")

Thank you.
I would recommend using "since I've been working here" it avoids any ambiguity.

Status
Not open for further replies.