We use the present simple to talk about regular or habitual events.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GoldfishLord

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
I'm not sure I understand your question. What difficulty is "we" causing you?
I was not sure if people in general talks about regular or habitual events or if the present tense talks about regular or habitual events.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
We (people in general) use the present tense to talk about regular or habitual events.

Barque

Banned
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
India
Current Location
Singapore
I was not sure if people in general talks about regular or habitual events or if the present tense talks about regular or habitual events.
You asked a similar question in another thread about a sentence on manufacturers using printed directions to give instructions to users. You asked if it was the manufacturer giving instructions or the directions giving instructions (if I remember right).

People talk about habitual events using the present tense. You could say the tense talks but it obviously means people use it to talk. What else could it mean? A tense can't actually talk.

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
I'm not sure I understand the question, either, but I'm wondering if you're asking about agency.

If we change the context, hopefully it will be clearer:

People use scissors to cut paper.

What exactly is doing the cutting? Is it the people or the scissors? Well, it's both. The tool itself is performing a task, but of course there is a person who is behind the action.

So in a sentence such as:

The present simple expresses a habitual event.

you could ask the same question: Who or what is doing the expressing? The speaker or the language?

Does that address your question? If so, I'm pretty sure it's the same in Korean, isn't it?

Status
Not open for further replies.