Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Great Britain
I have always wondered why my grammar is so poor, and why it takes such a long time for me to write the most simplest of sentances? I hope that by writing this quick paragraph and in such a short time, somebody will be able to point me in the right direction. My understanding of verbs,adjectives, nouns, etc.. seem to be in place. My use of punctuation is getting better by the day, the understanding of punctuation is becoming clearer and hopefullyI can continue in this vein. No spellcheck and five minutes of writing; what do you think?

Boozl

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
I have always wondered why my grammar is so poor, and why it takes such a long time for me to write the [STRIKE]most[/STRIKE] simplest of sentences? I hope that by writing this quick paragraph and in such a short time, somebody will be able to point me in the right direction. My understanding of verbs, adjectives, nouns etc seems to be in place. My use of punctuation is getting better by the day; my understanding of punctuation is becoming clearer and hopefully I can continue in this vein. No spellcheck and five minutes of writing; what do you think?

Boozl

Not bad at all, boozl.

Rover

boozl

Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Great Britain
Teacher,
Thank you for taking the time to look at my work and for that I am grateful. I can understand the mistakes that you have highlighted, and this is something that six months ago would not have been so straightforward. The key to all of this, I guess, is to keep writing short passages to see if the same mistakes appear, time and time again? If so, I should be able to eliminate them and develope a style of writing that is of a satisfactory standard. Again, I have given myself a 5 minute time limit, that is fast approaching. Thirty seconds remain so I'd better make this my last sentence; any better?

Boozl

Last edited:

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Teacher,
Thank you for taking the time to look at my work and for that I am grateful. I can understand the mistakes that you have highlighted, and this is something that six months ago would not have been so straightforward. The key to all of this, I guess, is to keep writing short passages to see if the same mistakes appear, time and time again? If so, I should be able to eliminate them and develop a style of writing that is of a satisfactory standard. Again, I have given myself a five minute time limit, that is fast approaching. Thirty seconds remain so I'd better make this my last sentence; any better?

Boozl

Coming along nicely, Boozl.

boozl

Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Great Britain
Teacher,
The aim of this excercise is for me to, one day, be able to reply to letters and emails, without the worry of making myself appear inept. Before going on to practise replying to letters, do you think that it would be bettter for me to continue writing short passages like this? Should I ask myself simple questions and try and come up with the simplest of answers or should I set myself targets? what would, in your opinion, be the best way to move forward? (surley too many question marks?)

I am finding this challenge very exciting now, and growing more confident as each day passes. Thank you again for your help and your advice would be very welcome.

Boozl

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
You can start to answer without worrying about feeling inept.

If your answers are wrong you will soon be corrected.

Don'e forget to mention that you are not a teacher when posting.

Rover

boozl

Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Great Britain
You can start to answer without worrying about feeling inept.

If your answers are wrong you will soon be corrected.

Don'e forget to mention that you are not a teacher when posting.

Rover

Not good enough Rover, it's Don't.

Now i'm getting too confident. Could you please comment on the punctuation used on my last post; did I use too many question marks? Must each question have its own question mark?

Thanks.

Boozl

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Not good enough Rover, it's Don't. Oops! :oops:

Now I'm getting too confident. Could you please comment on the punctuation used in my last post? It's fine. I'd probably not use the commas around 'one day', and rephrase the sentence thus: 'The aim of this exercise is for me to be able one day to reply to letters and emails...'
Did I use too many question marks? No.
Must each question have its own question mark? Yes.

Boozl

Rover

boozl

Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Great Britain

With only ten minutes of my lunchbreak remaing, I have some spare time on my hands, in which I can write a few sentences.

Hearing my alarm clock go off at 7 O'clock this morning seems a life time ago now. I only had time for one cup of coffee and a slice of toast, before having to get into my car and drive to work. The kids were pretty well behaved, and as always, we wished each other well before I left the house. My wife, Betty, gave me a huge kiss and asked me to try to be home a little earlier than usual. This was because she is going out with her sister tonight. At work, the telephone has only rang a handfull of times, but that is not to say I have not been busy. This afternoon, I am hoping, should fly past. I can then look forward to the weekend and a few days off. But until then it's back to work.

No spell check and no review - done in 11 minutes

boozl

Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Great Britain
With only ten minutes of my lunchbreak remaing, I have some spare time on my hands, in which I can write a few sentences.

Hearing my alarm clock go off at 7 O'clock this morning seems a life time ago now. I only had time for one cup of coffee and a slice of toast, before having to get into my car and drive to work. The kids were pretty well behaved, and as always, we wished each other well before I left the house. My wife, Betty, gave me a huge kiss and asked me to try to be home a little earlier than usual. This was because she is going out with her sister tonight. At work, the telephone has only rang a handfull of times, but that is not to say I have not been busy. This afternoon, I am hoping, should fly past. I can then look forward to the weekend and a few days off. But until then it's back to work.

[STRIKE]No spell check and no review - done in 11 minutes[/STRIKE]

Always check each sentence on its completion

Hearing my alarm clock go off at 7 O'clock this morning, seems a life time ago now.I only had time for [STRIKE]one[/STRIKE] a cup of coffee and[STRIKE] a [/STRIKE]slice of toast, before having to get into my car and drive to work. (not consistant)
The kids were pretty well behaved and as always, we wished each other well, before I left the house. (Try not to use the same word twice in one sentence)
My wife, Betty, gave me a huge kiss and asked me to try to be home a little earlier than usual [STRIKE]. This was [/STRIKE]because she [STRIKE]is going [/STRIKE] plans to go out with her sister tonight.
At work, the telephone has only rang a handfull of times this morning , but that is not to say I have not been busy. [STRIKE] This afternoon, I am hoping, should fly past.[/STRIKE]( re arrange) I hope this afternoon will fly past; then I can then look forward to the weekend and a few days off[STRIKE]. But[/STRIKE], but until then it's back to work.

Can anyone correct for me please?

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Hearing my alarm clock go off at 7 o'clock this morning (seems a lifetime ago now), I only had time for a cup of coffee and a slice of toast before having to get into my car and drive to work.

The kids were pretty well-behaved and as always we wished each other well before I left the house. My wife, Betty, gave me a huge kiss and asked me to try to be home a little earlier than usual because she plans to go out with her sister tonight.

At work, the telephone [STRIKE]has[/STRIKE] only rang a handful of times this morning, but that is not to say I have not been busy. I hope this afternoon will fly past; then I can then look forward to the weekend and a few days off. Until then it's back to work.

Rover

Status
Not open for further replies.