Student or Learner
Native Language
Serbian
Home Country
Serbia
Current Location
Serbia
Hello!

I've posted something yet about the accent and I wanna ask if my (american) accent got better.

Thank you!

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
Hello @Boqui and welcome to the forum. For future reference, please note that as an English language site we use only standard English. Chatlish terms such as wanna are not to be used here.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
You need to slow down. Say every syllable clearly and distinctly. As you have already guessed, I had trouble understanding you because you were talking too fast. As for whether your accent is better, there is no way I can know that, because I haven't heard it before.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
@Boqui I understood your recording. I agree with Tarheel that you need to slow down a little, but only at the start. "Hello everyone. I wanna ask you" wasn't enunciated well and you rushed it. After that, it became easier to understand. I don't think you should try to describe it as an American accent. With such a strong accent of your own, just concentrate on producing understandable English.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States

Boqui

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Serbian
Home Country
Serbia
Current Location
Serbia
Thank you for responding me! I will slow down when I speak. Is my foreign accent that strong? I am asking it because I want to give a try to learn American accent.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Thank you for responding to me! I will slow down when I speak.
That's a very good idea.
Is my foreign accent that strong?
You clearly have a non-native accent. That's not an issue. You're not a native English speaker. It takes years and years, and usually takes living in a country where English is the native language for a long time.
I am asking it because I want to give a try to learn to speak with an American accent.
Why?

Boqui

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Serbian
Home Country
Serbia
Current Location
Serbia
It's because I like the language that much I'd like to aquire it entirely I guess. 🥹

Do you have any recommendation how to try to sound more like natives (watch podcasts or something like that)?
😁

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
It's because I like the language that much I'd like to acquire it entirely, I guess. 🥹
I understand that you like English but why do you particularly want an American accent? Isn't it more important to simply be understandable?
Do you have any recommendations for how to try to sound more like natives a native speaker (watching podcasts or something like that)?
No. As I said before, sounding exactly like a native speaker is, for most people, an unachievable aim (in any language). I already told you what it takes to reach that point.

At this point, it's simply more important to improve your general English. Watching TV and films, and listening to podcasts and radio shows, all in English, will certainly help you with the pattern and rhythm of the language. If you want to practise the pronunciation of individual words, have a look at Forvo.