Ending Consonant sound

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kitten07

Member Type
Student or Learner
Hello everybody,
I have kept on wondering so much about the pronunciation of final consonants in English. What I wish to know better here is: I often listen to the BBC or CNN. I realize that they do not always pronounce the final consonants. Can I ask this question: In a phrase (because of the voice, I can not say so long phrases), is it true that we just pronounce some final consonants in stressed words? And how can I fluent in pronouncing these final sounds so that I can have the fluent speech? I mean the techniques. Thank you very much!

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Hello everybody,
What I wish to know better here is: I often listen to the BBC or CNN. I realize that they do not always pronounce the final consonants. Can I ask this question: In a phrase (because of the voice, I can not say so long phrases), is it true that we just pronounce some final consonants in stressed words?

That's a very difficult question to answer briefly. It involves, among other things, such aspects as assimilation, elision, linking, intrusion and juncture.

here's one example of elision:

I saw him next day. The /t/ of next is elided (it disappears) before the /d/ of day.

You might try googling the terms I have mentioned. Then, if you have specific questions, you could come back to this forum with them

Status
Not open for further replies.