Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
By listening to the pronunciation by native speakers, I think "deepest" sounds like /diːpəst/ while "tallest" sounds like /tɔːlɪst/.
I have checked the dictionary, Webster dictionary shows "-est" ending has two pronunciations--/əst/ and /ɪst/.
If my judgements of the pronunciations of "deepest" and "tallest" are right, what's the rule? when to use /əst/ and /ɪst/?
Or only /ɪst/ is acceptable and I just got the pronunciation of "deepeset" wrong?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I'm trying to think of an -est word in which I pronounce it as "est" instead of "ist" and I can't think of one. The majority of (I hesitate to say all but I'm very tempted) native BrE speakers pronounce it as "ist".

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
John Wells (Longman Pronunciation Dictionary) has the /ɪst/ pronunciation as more common than the /əst/ version.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
By After listening to the pronunciations by some native speakers, I think "deepest" sounds like /diːpəst/ while "tallest" sounds like /tɔːlɪst/.

I have checked the a dictionary; Webster Dictionary shows [that] the "-est" ending has two pronunciations - /əst/ and /ɪst/.

If my judgements of the pronunciations of "deepest" and "tallest" are right, what's the rule? When to do we use /əst/ and /ɪst/?

Or Is only /ɪst/ is acceptable? and Have I just got the pronunciation of "deepest" wrong?

Status
Not open for further replies.