Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Vietnamese
Home Country
Vietnam
Current Location
Vietnam
My English intonation first was like Australian, then now, after a long time improving it, it sounds more like American. But what I need is to improve my intonation to be like a native British. How can I improve it? Please give me some good advice.
Thank you!

Devon

The French

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
French
Home Country
France
Current Location
France
My English intonation first was like Australian, then now, after a long time improving it, it sounds more like American. But what I need is to improve my intonation to be like a native British. How can I improve it? Please give me some good advice.
Thank you!

Devon

Hi Devon,

I'm French and I believe the best way in your case is to speak with English people. But maybe your native intonation it's enough to speak in English with person who come from different contries.

Another way, listen BBC or another English radio, maybe movies canhelp you too.

Just my mind.

Have a nice day.
:-D

pramodpandey1947

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
Hii..

You can try "Tell Me More" english improvement software, it is free and available on The Pirate Bay as torrent file you can download it by using bittorrent...!!!

------
pramod;-):up:

devonpham1998

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Vietnamese
Home Country
Vietnam
Current Location
Vietnam
Hii..

You can try "Tell Me More" english improvement software, it is free and available on The Pirate Bay as torrent file you can download it by using bittorrent...!!!

------
pramod;-):up:
Thanks!

devonpham1998

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Vietnamese
Home Country
Vietnam
Current Location
Vietnam
Hi Devon,

I'm French and I believe the best way in your case is to speak with English people. But maybe your native intonation it's enough to speak in English with person who come from different contries.

Another way, listen BBC or another English radio, maybe movies canhelp you too.

Just my mind.

Have a nice day.
:-D
Thanks! I speak with English people quite often because my English teacher is a native English person. I practise speaking English with him for the average 2 hours a week. Unfortunately, my home TV doesn't have BBC channel. I sometimes watch it on my computer, but it takes much more time than watch on TV. About the movies, now, almost the movies are American, not British. Their intonations are all American. Well, could you please list me some British movies to see (like Harry Porter, it's the only one British film I could find)?

Best wishes,
Devon

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Provided your intonation is consistent, why risk mixing things up by changing it. I don't think that changing from Australian to American is an improvement (and, before any Americans complain, I don't think it's a worsening, either). Why do you want it to be British? That's an alteration, not an improvement.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

NikkiBarber

Member Type
Academic
Native Language
Danish
Home Country
Denmark
Current Location
United States
I think you should stick to what comes naturally to you, just remember to be consistent.
In my home country BrEn is what is taught in schools but as I had spent a year in America it was more natural for me speak and write AmEn. This was not a problem as long as I remembered to use American spelling whenever it differed from British.

Status
Not open for further replies.