Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Belarus
Current Location
United States
Hi, there.
I'm confused with some rules about articles where one of the rules says "we use a/an article to denote a class of objects, for example: When I write, I always use a pen" and the another one says "we use the to talk about a type of animal, machine, etc. an there they give us an example:
The giraffe is the tallest of all animals.
As to my point of view both of the examples denote a class of objects, isn't it?
Let me see you an another example:

You enter the house by the street door.

Can I just say
You enter a house by the street door?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

AlexAD

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Belarus
Current Location
United States
I've figured out that A giraffe is the tallest of all animals is correct
along with the The giraffe is the tallest of all animals.
So,You enter a house by the street door would be grammatically correct as well because a collection of objects is being meant by that. Though that sentence sounds very uncommon (at least for me).

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Try some of the threads listed under 'Similar Threads' at the bottom of this page, then come back if you have any more questions.

AlexAD

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Belarus
Current Location
United States
I've read use of definite article for describing a class? topic few times but I'm not sure I've got this right. In the example I wrote we are speaking about houses like a class that encloses all houses and therefore I still reckon that
You enter a house by the street door is also correct unless I am missing some details...

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
I still reckon that
You enter a house by the street door is also correct unless I am missing some details...
It is correct.

You enter the house by the street door
is incorrect, if you are talking about the class of houses.

AlexAD

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Belarus
Current Location
United States
Ok, but The giraffe is the tallest of all animals. is very similar to that one you mentioned above because there's also a connection with a class of animals called giraffe. This one is correct, isn't?

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
[/I]So,You enter a house by the street door would be grammatically correct as well because a collection of objects is being meant by that. Though that sentence sounds very uncommon (at least for me).

It sounds uncommon, but it's correct. People might use the plural there as well, which might sound more natural as we don't tend to talk about houses in that way.

AlexAD

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Belarus
Current Location
United States
Well, let's focus on the following sentence:
The giraffe is the tallest of all animals?

I've got that example from Murphy's book and it seems very unacustomed that they were a mistake there. The giraffe is a class (actually it is a subclass) of animals and attention is paid to that fact in the sentence.

Ok, what can we say then considering another sentence compared with previous one?

Why wouldn't we say that we're speaking about a house like a class of buildings?

P.S. I didn't make those examples up I'm just trying to find out what kind of book I'm learning says lie.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Part of the problem may lie in the form of the sentence. The following can all work when we are speaking about a class of nouns:

A noun is ...
The noun is ...
Nouns are ...

So, we could say, "The house as such did not exist before the xxth century BCE.

It is theoretically possible to say "You enter the house by the street door", but it is highly unlikely as the first mention of the class of houses.

Khosro

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
You can also take a look at this thread. In addition to other's useful replys, 'billmcd' mentions a rule which is in my opinion more accurate than what you have already found, because it points to "example" when it's about "a". Generally speaking I don't think that strict rules can help us with articles.

https://www.usingenglish.com/forum/ask-teacher/141422-bicycle-bicycle.html

AlexAD

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Belarus
Current Location
United States
Thank you all for keeping up the discussion.
The most important thing is that I've come to conclusion with the help of you fellows that both "The Undefinite" and "The Definite" articles will suit in this situation.
Thank you!

Khosro

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Thank you all for keeping up the discussion.
The most important thing is that I've come to conclusion with the help of you fellows that both "The Undefinite" and "The Definite" articles will suit in this situation.
Thank you!

Perhaps, but What is your sentence? We are not just looking for a rule about the relationship between class and articles.

Please read fivejedjon's post No. 9 more carefully.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Well, let's focus on the following sentence:
The giraffe is the tallest of all animals?

I've got that example from Murphy's book and it seems very unacustomed that they were a mistake there. The giraffe is a class (actually it is a subclass) of animals and attention is paid to that fact in the sentence.

Ok, what can we say then considering another sentence compared with previous one?

Why wouldn't we say that we're speaking about a house like a class of buildings?

P.S. I didn't make those examples up I'm just trying to find out what kind of book I'm learning says lie.

I think that the potential ambiguity of You enter the house... makes it a very unlikely form- it is possible IMO, but just a bit tooo unclear. You'd need to be in a zoo looking at a giraffe among elephants for the same possible ambiguity. It's not incorrect, just better avoided if you want to get your point across clearly, and You enter a house/houses are better options.

Status
Not open for further replies.