Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
the biophysicist's lecture on molecular dynamics was too obnoxious for many students in the audience.

the word "audience" seems almost always doubtful to me.

1.is it singlar or plural?

2.can u give me a list of more applicable prepositional collocations?

nyota

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Australia
Take a look at this thread faryan: audience

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Please capitalise the first word of every sentence and take the trouble to type you rather than u.

Obnoxious is an inappropriate adjective for a lecture on molecular dynamics.

1. Audience is singular if you think of it as an entity and plural if it's considered to be a collection of individuals. In your sentence it's the latter.

2. Pass. I don't understand the question.

Rover

nyota

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Australia

Do you mean verbs like accuse of, agree with etc.? The list is long, did you have something particular in mind?

faryan

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Please capitalise the first word of every sentence and take the trouble to type you rather than u.

Obnoxious is an inappropriate adjective for a lecture on molecular dynamics.

1. Audience is singular if you think of it as an entity and plural if it's considered to be a collection of individuals. In your sentence it's the latter.

2. Pass. I don't understand the question.

Rover

thanks of remembering me the first two mistakes i made:oops:, and answering my questions,in the second question i need to know a little more about the propositions that are used before or after the word "audience".but the most common ones.

Khosro

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
thanks of remembering me the first two mistakes i made:oops:, and answering my questions,in the second question i need to know a little more about the propositions that are used before or after the word "audience".but the most common ones.

I don't think there are any special prepositional collocations for "audience". I can imagine "on the audience", "to the audience", "at the audience", "with the audience", ... in different sentences.

Perhaps you have problems with "in the audience" in the sentence you quote. I thimk it is also possible to say "among the audience" for that sentence.

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK

No. The right collocation for 'lecture' is 'audience' (lectures are usually given in 'lecture theatres'), and where the sudents are is 'in the audience'. They can also be said to 'make up the audience' or 'fill out the audience' or whatever other verb may be appropriate; but 'audience' is usually part of any expression to do with a lecture.

b

birdeen's call

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
Faryan, remember that sentences must begin with capital letters. Also the word "I" must be capitalized. Here's what your post should look like:
Thanks of remembering me the first two mistakes I made:oops:, and answering my questions,_in the second question I need to know a little more about the propositions that are used before or after the word "audience"._But the most common ones.

We never use spaces before commas and periods and we always use spaces after them. So:

questions, in <-- correct
questions,in <-- incorrect
questions ,in <-- incorrect
questions , in <-- incorrect

faryan

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOooooooooooooooooppppppppppppppppsssssssssssssssss!!!!
Thanka a lot.

faryan

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Faryan, remember that sentences must begin with capital letters. Also the word "I" must be capitalized. Here's what your post should look like:
Thanks of remembering me the first two mistakes I made:oops:, and answering my questions,_in the second question I need to know a little more about the propositions that are used before or after the word "audience"._But the most common ones.

We never use spaces before commas and periods and we always use spaces after them. So:

questions, in <-- correct
questions,in <-- incorrect
questions ,in <-- incorrect
questions , in <-- incorrect

what about " & ", how should we use the spaces here? befor and after this sign?

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
what about " & ", how should we use the spaces here? befor and after this sign?

The simplest advice is to avoid using this symbol altogether.

It's easier to type and than to press Shift before searching for the sign on your keyboard.

If you must use it - such as when quoting somebody else's text or in the name of a firm like 'Marks & Spencer' - leave a space before and after.

Rover

Status
Not open for further replies.