Student or Learner
Native Language
Tamil
Home Country
Switzerland
Current Location
Australia
Hi All,

I am from a non English background country and working in Australia as an IT professional. English is a big road block for my career, specially when writing complex sentences . I am looking for a website where I can find a lots of practice questions with answers. It should cover all area of the English grammar. Please help me on this.

Mr_Ben

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
Switzerland
Hi All,

I am from a non English background country and working in Australia as an IT professional. English is a big road block for my career, specially when writing complex sentences . I am looking for a website where I can find a lots of practice questions with answers. It should cover all area of the English grammar. Please help me on this.

The majority of free websites are aimed at intermediate and below, and if you're already working in Australia I assume you're above that level. I can't think of any free resources which meet your criteria. The best "all encompassing" advanced grammar book I can recommend is Grammar for CAE and Proficiency from Cambridge Publishing. It's quite thorough, well-organised, comes with 2 CDs of listening material and it's very good value.

The best thing you can do is read, read, read (I imagine you do this already) to increase your language exposure. This will help you to know "what just sounds right" and is honestly the way native speakers learned the language. Reading in conjunction with a grammar book should put you on the right path.

There aren't any exercises here but these websites might be able to help you with your writing:
Guide to Grammar and Writing
The Purdue OWL: General Writing

kazewolf

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
You can try this video series- Video Aided Instruction :: English Grammar DVD Series-it helped me a lot with my grammar. Best way is to get a book and take down notes while watching it.

Vocabulary.com : Vocabulary.com -this site helps you build your vocabulary, it is -unique and useful! I learnt quite a lot of words from this site.

You can use this book as a second reference on grammar(great book in my opinion) Amazon.com: Grammatically Correct (text only) 2nd(Second) edition by A. Stilman: A. Stilman: Books

Last edited:

uabclst

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Swedish
Home Country
Sweden
Current Location
Sweden
Hi,

Here is a software tool I use a lot - SmartESLTool. It is pretty good when you're uncertain of how to use words in a sentence. I also have a non English background and that tool has helped me quite a bit.

Status
Not open for further replies.