Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Aimed at helping students study English more easily and happily, our school has established an English learning website.

Source: A Chinese student wrote the sentence above.

Is the word "established" the best among words or phrases like "built, created, set up..." there? Does the sentence sound natural to you? How do you improve it?

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Aimed at helping students study English more easily and happily, our school has established an English learning website.

Source: A Chinese student wrote the sentence above.

Is the word "established" the best among words or phrases like "built, created, set up..." there? Does the sentence sound natural to you? How would you improve it?
Maybe it's not the best choice, but I see nothing wrong with "established" there. (Others may disagree.)

GoodTaste

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Yes it is not wrong. But would you like to tell me the best choice in your heart?

The student went on with "The website, easyenglish.com, which has many fascinating functions, provides plenties of learning videos consisted not only learning skills but also learning courses."

Well, to me repeating "website" is not necessary and simply "site" will do better. I hope you native speakers polish other parts.

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
I concur with Tarheel, but the text does contain two errors. "Plenties" should read "plenty". Secondly, the explanatory clause "aimed at ..." should come after the main clause "Our school has established...". Standing at rhe beginning as it did in the original makes it a sort of dangling modifier.

Last edited:

GoodTaste

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
I concur with Tarheel, but the text does contain two errors. "Plenties" shou9ld read "plenty". Secondly, the explanatory clause "aimed at ..." should come after the main clause "Our school has established...". Standing at rhe beginning as it did in the original makes it a sort of dangling modifier.

Does "Aiming at..." work there?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
You could say the school has "launched/started/founded/established a website".

Status
Not open for further replies.